Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,614   Online: 958

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shortlist of films for Fashion/Beauty/Glamour ?

I'm looking to make a shortlist of about 5 colour films for the above subject shot with studio flash.

Must be available in 120.
    Can be pos or neg.
    Models have fair white skin.

Any recomendations appreciated, links to examples would be super cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure it's possible to arrive at a short list of color films appropriate for fashion, beauty and glamour. Virtually all "professional" color films can be used effectively, depending on the styling objectives of the shot.

My suggestion would be to run your own tests of the pro reversal films conveniently available in your area. That way, you'll get a personal feel for their color renditions and can choose specific films for specific purposes as needed. The reason for choosing reversal films is that most editors still prefer transparencies over color negatives - they can hold a transparency up to a light and judge an image without any hassle.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My short list is E100GX and EPP. Sorry, that's only two, but they're the ones I would choose.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a taste thing... Do you want subtle or strong colours , high, med or low contrast, do you care about grain or latitude and I would suspect that within each segment you'll try to achieve different effects requiring different films.

For me as a general thing..
    Fashion -- big colour and contrast == NPC/UC or Velvia, 100gx, 100vs or even xprocessed e100s, e200 or epp
    Beauty Glamour -- subtle pallette low contrast == NC or epn, epd, (maybe Astia)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally, I scan all color work, so do not use reversal film. My favorites are Fuji Superia in 35 mm and 120 and Kodak Portra 160 VC in 4x5" sheet. Portra VC (Vivid Color; there's also NC - normal color) is supposed to be a studio-only film but I find it gives good saturation and neutral balance which holds up under a variety of conditions, like for example this very early morning shot (I should mention that I always downrate color neg film - I shoot Portra 160 for example, at EI 100):
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 07-23-2007 at 03:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do apologise for such a silly question, I know its so personal a choice but I suppose I'm just looking for a starting point. I've been hung up on b+w for too long.

Thanks for the replies, if theres anyone else out with a recomendation I'd be glad to hear them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin