Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,088   Online: 932

Shooter
    Medium Format

Strange straight line on the right size of the photo...

I hope I am posting the right question in the right section. I just got back my scans from my first medium format film. These are shot with a Yashica Mat, Kodak Portra vc400, expired 1 year ago. All the shots have a straight line on the right size. Not sure why? Trying to figuring out if it is caused by the lab or the way I loaded the film. The Yashica Mat has a gear on the up take spool and pressed against the roll as you shoot.

Here is the set of the photos. I cloned all of them out except one shot to show the location of the straight line.

--www.flickr.com/photos/vracing/sets/72157631785544025/--

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry the link doesn't want to work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a close look at the negatives themselves (with a magnifier and a backlight/light table).

Can you see a line there?

EDIT: here is a clickable version of the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vracing...57631785544025
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Sorry the link doesn't want to work.

Don't enter --. For some reasons, every time I need to post an URL, I would get the message about needing the mod's approval.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Take a close look at the negatives themselves (with a magnifier and a backlight/light table).

Can you see a line there?

EDIT: here is a clickable version of the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vracing...57631785544025

I have to wait since the negatives are being shipped back to me as we speak...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
    Don't enter --. For some reasons, every time I need to post an URL, I would get the message about needing the mod's approval.....
    As a new poster, you are probably being caught up in the automatic "spam" filters. This should resolve itself shortly, but if not, contact the moderators.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Judging from the scans, this looks to me like a scanning artifact - a 1px black line down the right side. Check the negatives when you get them to be sure though.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
    I hope I am posting the right question in the right section. I just got back my scans from my first medium format film. These are shot with a Yashica Mat, Kodak Portra vc400, expired 1 year ago. All the shots have a straight line on the right size. Not sure why? Trying to figuring out if it is caused by the lab or the way I loaded the film. The Yashica Mat has a gear on the up take spool and pressed against the roll as you shoot.

Here is the set of the photos. I cloned all of them out except one shot to show the location of the straight line.

--www.flickr.com/photos/vracing/sets/72157631785544025/--
    Generally you need to work backwards, the printis the concert, the negative is the score.... Unless you KNOW the processor is using optical printing, they are probably scanning and printing, which means the printer could be scratching the print, or more likely the scanner isn't clean, and the line is dirt on the scanning head. This is why you need to look at the negative to see if the negative has a scratch, if it doesn't, count yourself lucky. If the negative is scratched, then either it's the processor or your camera. If it's on the back side, with 120, it's the processor. If it's on the emulsion side, get a roll of expired film, doesn't matter what, put it through the camera then unspool it and look for any scratches.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Judging from the scans, this looks to me like a scanning artifact - a 1px black line down the right side. Check the negatives when you get them to be sure though.

I hope it isn't in the scanning because the lab, TheDarkroom.com, seems to do a good job with the scans.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like a scanning problem. I have been encountering this as well myself. The easiest way to tell is to turn or flip the negative and scan it again. If the artifact turns up in the same place on the image, it is the negative, if it moves after turning, it is the scanner.

I have a HP flat bed that loves to do this on my large 6x9 color negatives. its a real hassle and requires going into separate channels to clone out the different colored streaks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin