Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,507   Online: 1036

Shooter
    Medium Format

Now that Kodak VC 120 has gone, can anyone suggest something else ?

Kodak portra VC 120/220 was my most favorite film. If I had realized that production had stopped I would have bought a freezer full.
    Can someone reccomend a close second to use ?

Thanks,
    Charles
    Last edited by bascom49; 10-16-2012 at 04:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ektar 100? Nice saturated colours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest you try the single film that is intended to replace the NC/VC pair that preceded it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The choices are getting harder and harder, I assume you are looking for a portrait film with good skin tones and a little more punch than Portra160 NC, I suggest you try Fuji Reala, I.M.O. the best 120 portrait and general purpose film still around , Ektar 100 is a very sharp and contrasty film but even Kodak don't recommend it for portraiture, I should also try the new Kodak Portra 160 and 400, which are also excellent portrait films.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-17-2012 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Portra 400 would be the most similar. Portra 160 will have somewhat less contrast and saturation.
    Ektar will have more contrast and saturation. All of these are wonderful films. Just depends on your
    application.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about Portra 800? Vivid color, and quite fast. Of course if you're looking for fine grain, then go with Ektar 100. But really, there aren't that many films on the market any longer, so it wouldn't cost that much to do some personal research and see what works for you.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin