Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,597   Online: 853

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Double post
    Last edited by frotog; 10-24-2012 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: double post

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the tip, but that idea would be far too risky and dirty for my personal needs. At a
    thousand dollars a roll, and the possibility of a sheet being crinkled with a single minor mistake, I
    need a more foolproof system. I'll cut a bunch a sheets in a session, store them in the safe, and
    then if needed resize from the 30x40 sheets. I could also print 40x60 from the master roll, though
    that would be stretching my current print storage capacity. When I work with color materials of
    andy kind, everything gets swabbed down until I'll got a true cleanroom setting. These prints have
    to be world class. Period. And if you've worked with polyester you already know it's a lot fussier
    than handling RC paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Polyester? Are you printing on duratrans?

If you're dragging your paper horizontally through a rototrim guide then you'll have bigger problems than dust (which is easily spotted out - even amongst the provincial class).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Or do you mean this stuff http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Printing.html
    Fujiflex.."durable and easy to handle"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Fujiflex. Don't worry about my trimmer technique - I've used it for a long time for Cibachrome, which
    is even more fussy and very easily scratched or dented. But you are correct pointing out the risk of that little bar cover on the Rotatrim - it will be removed for roll work in the dark, and substituted with something more appropriate. Per dust - I try to work very clean. It was almost impossible to
    retouch Ciba, so had to get real good at this. And even Fuji polyester base will show any kind of
    opaque color as a zit on that high gloss, though you can use penetrating retouch dyes to build up
    a minor white spot caused by dust. The nice thing about the Fuji is that it isn't highly electrostatic
    like the Ciba base was (virtually a dust magnet!).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is a densitometer scan of Fuji CAII grey step (which does need redoing), but it gives you an idea. These are final print curves, we sample the grey step curve after calibrating density and essentially filtration, then use that data to apply gamma correction on the whole thing to give a neutral grey step across the entire range (Kodak paper fares much better imho).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Had an RA4 session last night, so here's an Ektar (EI50)/Crystal Archive example:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Here is a densitometer scan of Fuji CAII grey step (which does need redoing), but it gives you an idea. These are final print curves, we sample the grey step curve after calibrating density and essentially filtration, then use that data to apply gamma correction on the whole thing to give a neutral grey step across the entire range (Kodak paper fares much better imho).

I meant not final print curves.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin