Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,009   Online: 1072

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Weird flare object

I'm looking for some diagnostic help with this- I have a strange flare in the middle of this frame. It is the only frame on the roll that has it, and the frame is from the middle of the roll, so it's not an in-camera light leak or the roll leaking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeirdFlare.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	58623

Camera is a Rolleiflex 2.8E, with a Rolleinar 1 attached. Film is Fuji NPS160.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You didn't mention the film type. It looks like a processing or a film problem, not a camera or subject problem. Could it perhaps be a pressure mark?
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I did mention the film type- it's Fuji NPS 160. Rolleiflexes take 120. It's always possible it's a processing issue, but the lab that does my C41 for me runs dip-n-dunk, so it's unlikely to be a processing issue. I suppose it COULD be a problem with the film, as the film is about 11 years out of date. But that wouldn't explain why it happened to the middle of a single frame in literally the middle of the roll.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm leaning towards a film pinch, probably during processing.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me it looks more like a processing or film problem than a light problem too. Does the mark extend all the way to the left edge?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What would a "comet" from an air bell or a drip of developer/chemistry look like on color film?

That's what I'm reminded of but I've only seen them on black and white but not color.

If it's not that, I'd also say it's from a buckle in the film.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Only a guess, but I can imagine someone in the processing room (checking temps, adding replenisher) when the dip 'n dunk was up in the air between dips, and dripping something from their arm onto your film. Or as I've actually seen with my own reel/tank processing, perhaps a piece of solid matter temporarily adhered to the film, thus changing the development characteristic. Anyway, 11-year-old film is a crap-shoot.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]John Weinland

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin