Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,937   Online: 876

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Many colour photo chemicals are classed as dangerous goods or ORMD, this means international shipping is much more difficult, you need special paperwork and you need to have arrangements in place to get spills contained and cleaned up en route.
    Yes, I understand (and appreciate) all this concern about flying safety.

You can always do some digging, I found this in about 8 seconds. It's the distributor for Fujifilm products in Brazil, try contacting them and see if they can help you out.
    Not only I called them as Iīv been there. Itīs 20 min walking from my house. They were very nice and helpfull (like all you guys). They even gave me Fujifilm's Pro-6 handbook. They donīt call it "E-6".

The problem is that they donīt have small 5-liters or 10-liters Kit, only big 40-liters drums. And the process is a bit tricky because in some point you need make air bubbles go through the solution and I donīt know how to do it in my Jobo.

Not to mention that a few time ago Fujifilm stopped to sell Pro-6 chemicals what caused a shortage on the market and all labs stopped developing chrome untill Fujifilm resume the selling.

Conclusion: we canīt trust on Fujifilm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoMiglioli View Post
    It is true. Import taxes doubles (actually, itīs a bit more) the price of the good + freight. And thatīs why we are trying to make our own chemicals.
    I can understand a high tariff for goods that are also manufactured domestically, but for things where they are not available from domestic sources, it's simply gouging by the government...
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And the process is a bit tricky because in some point you need make air bubbles go through the solution and I donīt know how to do it in my Jobo.
    Nitrogen bubbles, not air bubbles. They're there to agitate the bath without oxidising it.

Nitrogen is required only for deep-tank processing where it's used to stir the developer up, keep it uniformly mixed and move the exhausted stuff away from the film to be replaced by fresh stuff. The rotary action of the Jobo accomplishes all that so (assuming you can find chemistry) you can stop worrying about bubbles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can understand a high tariff for goods that are also manufactured domestically, but for things where they are not available from domestic sources, it's simply gouging by the government...
    There are lots of stupid things in my country. Unfortunatelly I live under a governement which I didnīt vote on. If I could rule this nation with an iron fist things would be much easier...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Nitrogen bubbles, not air bubbles. They're there to agitate the bath without oxidising it.

Nitrogen is required only for deep-tank processing where it's used to stir the developer up, keep it uniformly mixed and move the exhausted stuff away from the film to be replaced by fresh stuff. The rotary action of the Jobo accomplishes all that so (assuming you can find chemistry) you can stop worrying about bubbles.
    Thatīs are good news. Thank you.

And what about my other questions?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I understand (and appreciate) all this concern about flying safety.

Not only I called them as Iīv been there. Itīs 20 min walking from my house. They were very nice and helpfull (like all you guys). They even gave me Fujifilm's Pro-6 handbook. They donīt call it "E-6".

The problem is that they donīt have small 5-liters or 10-liters Kit, only big 40-liters drums. And the process is a bit tricky because in some point you need make air bubbles go through the solution and I donīt know how to do it in my Jobo.

Not to mention that a few time ago Fujifilm stopped to sell Pro-6 chemicals what caused a shortage on the market and all labs stopped developing chrome untill Fujifilm resume the selling.

Conclusion: we canīt trust on Fujifilm.
    I used Fuji as an example, you can do your own research on other possible products. If you want to roll your own, the key is to find a bulk chemical importer. They may be able to get the chemicals you need from their suppliers. The only thing CD3 and CD4 are trade names for actual chemicals, bulk suppliers probably need the chemical names . I found the names here They are long and torturous so you can hit the link for them. The key with bulk chemical importers, is they import lots of other dangerous stuff, so they are dealing with the importing and proper paperwork, although it may still be expensive. Take the formulas to the supplier to see if they can get everything on your list.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can make CD-3 with the raw components, if you're into that, the raw components are still "exotic" but much much less so and more common reagents, you can get through chemical suppliers. Failing that CD-3 can be had via India and China chemical companies, probably easiest to do that via Alibaba.com

CD-3 can be precipitated out of ECN-2 developer part B concentrate fairly easily too, into pink powder-like crystals (once dry).

There's also 2 different forms of CD-3, so you'd need to change the weight amount you use to match etc.

CD-2 is used for ECP-2 only iirc, motion picture print film. CD-3 is RA-4 and E-6.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Really?! So you mean that if I use regular phenidone I must use the solution within a day? How long will it last? Is it possivel to use regular phenidone and keep the working solution on low temperature to make it lasts longer? How cold should it be?
    I can't tell you exact numbers, but on more than one occasion I have self mixed developers and used them after a few days without problems. I did not do any sensitometric tests, though, and my b&w devs worked at much lower pH than E6 FD. Note that most commercial developers are made with Dimezone-S, but their concentrates are expected to have long shelf lives. Testing will be the only way to find out, in other words, don't use it on your most important roll first if you use the dev after a week.
    As far as I know it is CD-2 and CD-4, but Iīm not positive sure. Probably you are right.
    Look here for a recipe which comes from Fuji's patents and which has PhotoEngineer's official blessing. All Cd-x compounds will produce colors, but with slightly different hue and stability. Since the dye couplers in E6 are specifically made to work with CD-3, that's what I would use.

You will have problems getting the highly toxic 1-Thioglycerol, but it can be substituted by other compounds or left out at the expense of a bit longer bleach times. The stabilizer can be substituted by a simple recipe provided here. If you do that, you don't need the "Formaldehyde sodium bisulfite adduct" in the prebleach any more. The "Nitrilo-N,N,N-trimethylene phosphonic acid pentasodium salt" is a chelating agent which you can leave out if you use distilled water. Note that you will have to adjust pH if you change compositions!
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to roll your own, the key is to find a bulk chemical importer. They may be able to get the chemicals you need from their suppliers. The only thing CD3 and CD4 are trade names for actual chemicals, bulk suppliers probably need the chemical names . I found the names here. They are long and torturous so you can hit the link for them. The key with bulk chemical importers, is they import lots of other dangerous stuff, so they are dealing with the importing and proper paperwork, although it may still be expensive. Take the formulas to the supplier to see if they can get everything on your list.
    Yes, thatīs what I want. I didnīt know CD2, CD3, etc, were trade names. Thank you. Your link was fantastic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    You can make CD-3 with the raw components, if you're into that, the raw components are still "exotic" but much much less so and more common reagents, you can get through chemical suppliers. Failing that CD-3 can be had via India and China chemical companies, probably easiest to do that via Alibaba.com

CD-3 can be precipitated out of ECN-2 developer part B concentrate fairly easily too, into pink powder-like crystals (once dry).

There's also 2 different forms of CD-3, so you'd need to change the weight amount you use to match etc.

CD-2 is used for ECP-2 only iirc, motion picture print film. CD-3 is RA-4 and E-6.
    Thank you. I think it wonīt be difficult to order these components.

Yes, you are right: E6 uses CD3 and not CD2, CD4 as I thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin