Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,226   Online: 1193

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    All those years I didn't take slides because I wanted prints and getting them from slides was expensive and problematic.

Now that 99.9% of commercial prints come from scans, slides make much more sense.

I came back to film after the Kodachrome kill-off and in the last year of processing people were selling Kodachrome for $25 a roll. So I missed out on Kodachrome.

I tried some Ektachrome and loved it but now they killed that dead too. I bought 40 rolls before it was gone and I shoot one every month or two. I love to project them with my $30 Leica projector I got from Ebay.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting 120 transparency film since Kodachrome went away.

But I have a medium format projector.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do you still shoot 35mm transparency and why?

Have recently started doing 35mm Velvia again. When those morons who write photoshop filters that are meant to look like Velvia show off their work I can show them what Velvia is actually like. None of those filters are within 1000 miles of what it really looks like!

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot probably a couple hundred rolls a year, mostly Velvia 50, for nature, travel, etc. I have never been interested in post processing (traditional or digital) and I like making all my creative decisions in the field. I enjoy the final slides myself on a lightbox, project the best for friends and family, and occasionally have some published. I have a few printed and I like the simplicity of sending a slide to a good lab, asking them to match the final print to it, and getting back essentially what I expect.

By now of course most photographers with my interests have gone digital, but I've resisted so far because 1) I like film, 2) I don't like post-processing, and 3) FX digital bodies are bricks that I don't want to carry into the backcountry and DX bodies have few options with regard to wide-angle lenses.

I do like the new Portras for everyday family pictures, but if E6 disappears I'm afraid my serious film days will be over. Hopefully that's still awhile off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    <*choke*> Coffee!? As a B&W negative!? Sacrelege!
    Considering the cost of transparency film, I don't see the point from an economic point view. Each to his own though, I guess...
    hey poisson du jour

no place is left near me who can process bigger than 35mm chrome film
    i don't want to deal with processing it myself because i don't want to deal
    with the chemistry and the drain ...
    and with kids, i am too broke to pay 20$ for a roll of 120 or
    $5+ / sheet of 4x5 or 5x7 film to be turned into a beautiful chrome by mailing it away
    ...besides all my chrome film is outdated by at least 5 or 6 years, shelf stored
    and probably not very good as well ... chromes
    i figure using it in coffee is better than selling it for cheaps, or throwing it out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hey poisson du jour

no place is left near me who can process bigger than 35mm chrome film
    i don't want to deal with processing it myself because i don't want to deal
    with the chemistry and the drain ...
    and with kids, i am too broke to pay 20$ for a roll of 120 or
    $5+ / sheet of 4x5 or 5x7 film to be turned into a beautiful chrome by mailing it away
    ...besides all my chrome film is outdated by at least 5 or 6 years, shelf stored
    and probably not very good as well ... chromes
    i figure using it in coffee is better than selling it for cheaps, or throwing it out

Kids in the equation, huh? You can have one passion or the other, but not both!

And...$20 for a roll of 120 E6?? I wold leave E6 altogether if it cost that for processing. What are you asking for additional to straight processing and no cutting/mounting?
    Still, the revelation, however uncomfortable, that Velvia can be dipped in coffee as a substitute process is quite...'out there', innovative if you like. As I write this I can hear my cache of Velvia whimpering in the fridge...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Kids in the equation, huh? You can have one passion or the other, but not both!

And...$20 for a roll of 120 E6?? I wold leave E6 altogether if it cost that for processing. What are you asking for additional to straight processing and no cutting/mounting?
    Still, the revelation, however uncomfortable, that Velvia can be dipped in coffee as a substitute process is quite...'out there', innovative if you like. As I write this I can hear my cache of Velvia whimpering in the fridge...

well, 20$ was a bit of an exaggeration, but if you count shipping both ways ? who knows
    maybe it is more like 12-15$ ... ( i have like 75-100 rolls !)
    yeap, my kids are eating me out of house and home ..
    and with the rising price of fresh fruit and veggies YIKES !
    its a good thing i only buy fresh chems, i wouldn't be able to afford this rich person's hobby
    unless i was loaded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 35mm transparency film regularly (Elite Chrome, E100G, Velvia 50) and will do so until my Kodak hoard runs out or Fuji cease production. I adore the colours and I love the way the red colour layer leaps out when viewed through a mini-viewer. Projected slides are amazing and I doubt I'll ever get the equivalent resolution through any LCD projector or UHD TV screen I'll ever be able to afford. I like to hold them up in the daylight and look at the details close-up with my enlarging lens. Dare I say I really enjoy the smell of fresh transparency film? There's something mmm that I don't get from negative and b/w film.

I've had several rolls of Agfa VistaPlus 200 cross-processed to transparencies with some encouraging quirky results.

I'm new here, but I think I'm in the right place judging by the comments above.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I use slide film for stock photography. I don't mount any more, only scan them. Lightbox and loupe are a very satisfying way to look at them. Negatives can't offer that.
    I've started experimenting with Ektar neg film for stock. Slide film, especially Fuji is just getting too expensive (£9 a 35mm roll in UK, and that's without processing). ....Am also trying out Agfa Precisa 100asa, which is still reasonably priced. Since the financial return from stock photography has declined dramatically, film cost has to come into the equation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAFotography View Post
    Dare I say I really enjoy the smell of fresh transparency film? There's something mmm that I don't get from negative and b/w film.
    Oh my goodness. I thought I was the only one nuts enough to enjoy the smell of fresh transparency film.

Welcome home to APUG, I think you're gonna like it here.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin