Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,763   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Do you still shoot 35mm transparency and why?

Frankly, I have too much equipment (not an easy thing to admit to, especially since I keep buying even more of it). I shoot 35mm print, 35mm monochrome (fast and slow), medium format print, monochrome and transparency. I have found that I'm using 35mm transparency less and less. I used to shoot a lot of it when I went abroad to show the family in a slide-show when I got home and really enjoyed that, but I hardly go away now and I've found that I tend to move to medium format for transparency. I was curious to see what you people use 35mm transparency film for, and what you do with it afterwards. Show it as slide shows, print from it, scan it (obviously wihtout getting into a discussion on scanning)? I feel in need of some inspiration to get the F4 loaded up again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Up until 2011 I used slides daily to document home life. I used a Canon A-1 with a date back, using X for the year since the thing was only supposed to be used until like, 89 or some such fixed number. It was fun. Once the date back became less fun, I switched to a regular date back and "once in a while" pictures instead of daily ones.

For me, 35mm slides represent history, especially family history. When my dad died, that's really all we had, a box full of slides, to remember him by, to examine his life and our family's life. I think of the ones I shoot the same way. Someday, when we're gone, maybe some kid will hold those little magical color slides up to a light and go "wow" just like I did. And that makes me smile.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like that answer, thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot both 135 and 120 slide films to project, because I.M.O. it's the most beautiful way to view my colour pictures.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

35mm slides

Well, I think that slide film, transparency, call it what you like is a far better medium to get a good representation of the world as we would like to remember it. I still use an occasional cassette or two but I would like to use more, I just don't have the opportunity to get out and about.

Sides when projected from a good projector know no equal. More punch than prints and far more than the very best projected digital image I have ever seen. A good, sharp well composed saturated (but not too much) slide will carry the banner every time.

No wonder it was the preferred medium of advertising photographers

Shooter
    35mm
    I am still shooting 35mm transparency film for most of my photography, along with the occasional roll of B&W. A couple weeks ago I shot a whole roll of slide film on nothing but fall colors in less than a week. I'm looking forward to projecting those! No numeric projector comes anywhere close to even a cheap slide projector.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me begin by stating that I print my negatives myself in a darkroom. I don't do digital prints. And I shoot a lot of 35mm, quite a big portion of that family photos.

Now then, printing photos is fun. But it can get tedious, having many rolls of film just waiting to be printed. Many many rolls, full of nice photos.

I have found slide film again mostly because of that. It's nice to have ready to look photos for projection. Got to go buy some Provia 400 for the wintertime...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My photos goes 60% slides, the rest B&W and color film.
    Regards
    Matias

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot mostly B&W 35mm B&W, but when I want color.. Slide film it is.. RVP50 or RDPIII, the occasional E100VS is a lot of fun too (so sad it's gone). Recently I've started printing at home so I've been shooting B&W for the most part because of the novelty and excitement behind this new endeavor.
    But the reason I shoot slide is simple. Before I started printing, the only way I could show and share photos was by scanning them. I have no patience for photoshop and if I could I would rather not need to adjust anything after scanning. Not because I'm anti-digital or anti-scanning. I just don't see the entertainment value behind a night of photoshop adjustments and retouches! It's simply not fun..
    Slide gives me a ready, BEAUTIFUL results with absolute minimum effort in post. Even though the latitude restriction frequently screws me over, when things fall in place, it is GORGEOUS and unlike anything else..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to shoot it for commercial clients. Since their needs are very specific, I had to proof every shot with Polaroid. Chrome film have the lowest exposure latitude of all film and it's tough not to get blown out highlights while keeping shadow detail. I shot 35mm, 4x5 and 6x7 transparencies for personal work. Those days are long gone and I don't shoot chromes anymore. The tough part is getting it processed. The only place near by is 20 miles away. I used to use A&I mailers, but they've stopped processing E6. My favorite was Fuji RDP and RTP. Gorgeous looking on the light box.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin