Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,714   Online: 788

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Welcome to the magic of slide film! I love color slides so much too. I've always loved them (from back when my father shot slides), but when I first tried 6x6 then 4x5 color slides I just couldn't believe me eyes. That's the next best thing to a time machine to me but it looks even better than everyday life. Bought a Rollei 35 SE and then rediscovered what a 35mm slide can look like. With a sharp lens even 35mm slide film is mindblowingly beautiful to look at.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I still have some old 6x7 glass Gepe-mounted slides laying around. Do a med format slide show for
    all your geeky friends still viewing fuzzy images on their archaic web monitors. It will be a revelation.

Shooter
    35mm
    A 35mm slide can look amazing even in a cheap Vivitar projector. Especially when you project it at 6 ft by 9 ft (2m by 3m) on the side of the garage. RattyMouse, since you're shooting medium format, you really should invest in a medium format projector and some slide mounts. You'll love them projected.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All the MF projectors that I've seen are 6x6; are there any that are 6x7? (For a sane price, anyway!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cluttered View Post
    All the MF projectors that I've seen are 6x6; are there any that are 6x7?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttered View Post
    (For a sane price, anyway!)
    No. Though you can occasionally find a very cheap Cabin projector that will do 6x7, I'm not convinced they have quality optics in them.

Goetschmann 6x7 projectors are The Real Thing but you need to be up for about $4k to get a new one with lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Goetschmann 6x7 projectors are The Real Thing but you need to be up for about $4k to get a new one with lens.
    Ouch. My list of photographic stuff to buy when I win the lottery is getting depressingly long.

Still, I've seen two exhibitions within the last few months back that were both shot on 35mm Provia and scanned and printed to very large sizes with amazing results, so "mere" 35mm transparency film is capable of great things.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Almost nobody uses projectors anymore. Be patient and one might turn up for free. But MF projectors were never common to begin with. They run a bit hot, so to keep the film flat you'll
    need AN glass mounts. These do turn up from time to time. Lenses can be subsituted. Some graphics
    process lenses would do a good job, and are cheap these days, though a bit slow per f/stop. One
    could simply make a med format or even LF projector; but again, cooling would be important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, MF Provia (and its super-trooper stablemate, Velvia) sure impress.

You don't need a projector. Just a lightbox left on all the time to repeatedly put a smile on your dial!

The reason you got such impressive results is that you exposed Provia in conditions which it, like Velvia, favours the best: diffuse (flat / overcast) illumination. Everybody knows (and should know) what Velvia and Provia can do to a good scene in point light — it is absolutely ugly and intemperate; it's not clever or smart to do it that way. Take it out on a rainy day and fine greens and reds to play with: a polariser adds extra 'gasp' factor in the right conditions: forests and scenes where the sky is excluded work best. I never ever step into a rainforest without a polariser on Velvia. No pol needed for sunrise or sunset as the resulting scene can come across and very flat and lifeless.

Provia 100 is used in my trusty XA which almost trumped the images from MF! But MF had other ways of trumping Provia ... with Velvia!!

• Sunset over Lake Bonney, South Australia, October 2012
    Olympus XA w/ Provia 100
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LakeBonney_sunsetSA.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	58841

• Need more 'Gasp' factor? A similar, later scene with Velvia 50
    Pentax 67, 45mm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake_Bonney_BarmeraSA_6 Oct2012_FACEBOOK.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	772.6 KB 
ID:	58842
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 10-24-2012 at 06:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any recommendations for a 6x6 projector? I only shoot 6x7 in a rollfilm back on a view camera (meaning not that much) but 6x6 and 6x4.5 in medium format cameras. I've been shooting a fair amount of 35mm E6 this year. I have one roll of E100VS in a 645 back right now, and would shoot more if I had a projector for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can someone bring me up to speed on lightboxes? I am so green in this area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin