Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,693   Online: 1115

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Any recommendations for a 6x6 projector? I only shoot 6x7 in a rollfilm back on a view camera (meaning not that much) but 6x6 and 6x4.5 in medium format cameras. I've been shooting a fair amount of 35mm E6 this year. I have one roll of E100VS in a 645 back right now, and would shoot more if I had a projector for it.
    The best alternative for trannnies if you don't have a projector is to print them. Then frame them. Then put them up on the wall, illuminated by spots.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    The best alternative for trannnies if you don't have a projector is to print them. Then frame them. Then put them up on the wall, illuminated by spots.
    I also believe there are now LED back-lighted frames available for wall display. Could be really nice for the larger sheet film sizes. Or multiple smaller sizes behind opaque cutout masks, I suppose.

I'd think something like the following could be adapted for traditional transparencies:

PhotoGlow Backlit Frame

8x10s displayed like this could be just killer...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjr View Post
    It is a magical thing. One day I want to try shooting with a good 3D camera (not too many of those out there!), and view them ala a viewmaster. If it looks half as good as the 3D image does in a Rollei / Hasselblad style finder, it will be well worth the effort.
    Yeah, you have to do it! I shoot Provia and old stocks of Fuji Sensia in my Stereo Realist and Wollensak Stereo 10 cameras, mount them in the special stereo slide mounts, and view them through my Stereo Realist "Red Button" viewer which I have modified with a LED bulb instead of the dim yellow torch bulbs they originally used. The 3D effect with those beautiful backlit slides is mindblowing when you see them for the first time. Everyone I show them to is absolutely amazed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Can someone bring me up to speed on lightboxes? I am so green in this area.
    It's just a 'box' of sorts that contains a light source and an opaque piece of glass or plastic that allows you to look at your negs and transparencies. They come in various sizes. Here in Japan most photo stores have their entire counter as a lightbox -- they'll turn it on and you can look at the negs right there.

However, if you have a tablet of sorts (iPad, for example) with a flashlight app that lights up the screen you can use that as a lightbox as well (that's what I do).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I also believe there are now LED back-lighted frames available for wall display. Could be really nice for the larger sheet film sizes. Or multiple smaller sizes behind opaque cutout masks, I suppose.

I'd think something like the following could be adapted for traditional transparencies:

PhotoGlow Backlit Frame

8x10s displayed like this could be just killer...

Ken
    Note that E6 films have excellent archival properties only when not exposed to light. Normal projection use (a few minutes of viewing every few months) is not a problem but leaving a chrome (unless it's Kodachrome or Ilfochrome) constantly illuminated will fade it. For display purposes now that Ilfochrome is gone, you can buy polyester RA4 materials and make a print from a neg that looks like a chrome and is designed for back-lighting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Note that E6 films have excellent archival properties only when not exposed to light. Normal projection use (a few minutes of viewing every few months) is not a problem but leaving a chrome (unless it's Kodachrome or Ilfochrome) constantly illuminated will fade it. For display purposes now that Ilfochrome is gone, you can buy polyester RA4 materials and make a print from a neg that looks like a chrome and is designed for back-lighting.
    Hmm. I'd heard just the opposite. That Kodachrome had near unbelievable dark longevity, but deteriorated (relatively) rapidly when illuminated. That was why all of the Kodak Carousel business people used to make multiple second-generation Ektachrome dupes for their presentations, while keeping their Kodachrome "masters" in the dark.

Did I remember that backwards?

In any case, I'd only turn on the frames for paying guests anyway...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Provia and Velvia will fade even in archivally-safe dark storage but it has been said that they will last if projected frequently, which is not a common thing today; it is a pecularity of E6 being less archivally stable to a point. I have quite a few RVP images from 1993 which are noticeably weaker than more recent images as a visual comparison.

Kodachrome's problem was that reds were susceptible to fading more rapidly than other colours through frequent projection, and that projection was recommended for a few seconds at most. I think Kodak had a publication about this in Kodachrome's time. There is no fading problem that I can see with Kodachrome trannies from 1977 to 1992 in archival stoage. I stopped using Kodachrome around 1994.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Um, thanks but "well duh." I do have a 35mm projector. I was asking for recommendations for buying a medium format one for 6x6 and 6x4.5, not for what to do without one. Sure I can get prints made, or I can get or make scans and make inkjet prints. I could and would just shoot neg film if I only planned prints, though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin