Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,028   Online: 1235

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fujifilm 400H

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pro400H

Night shots ARE contrasty unless you make +1-2EV overexposure (and lose some highlights). But I agree with many others here, 400H is one of the best color negatives ever made. Really nice skin color and everything around it plays out superb in tonality and saturation levels balance:

David+Sandra by tsiklonaut

David+Sandra by tsiklonaut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I doubt that they will look much different on paper.

I think that what you are describing as high saturation and contrast may simply be that the tones are "printing" or "falling" darker than you planned as a result of underexposure.

RattyMouse I'm going to guess now, given the the funky shadow detail you describe and the amount of detail and lack of "pop" in the highlights, that you simply underexposed versus your intent for the shot.

How did you meter?
    I relied on the GA645's meter. It is a new camera for me and I am not entirely used to how it operates so just let it take the readings. Since I was shooting hand held, I did not have much room for increasing exposure due to minimal shutter speeds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I relied on the GA645's meter. It is a new camera for me and I am not entirely used to how it operates so just let it take the readings. Since I was shooting hand held, I did not have much room for increasing exposure due to minimal shutter speeds.
    There is one cardinal sin with negative exposures, underexposure.

So, a couple thoughts if you are going to shoot this type of lighting regularly.

You may need to consider higher EI's (pushing the 400) or a higher EI film like 800Z or similar.

Another really good option is a good flash like a Nikon SB-90 or similar that you can use to pop in a bit of fill light to light the people up better. Not a lot just some to get them off the toe of the film curve.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    There is one cardinal sin with negative exposures, underexposure.

So, a couple thoughts if you are going to shoot this type of lighting regularly.

You may need to consider higher EI's (pushing the 400) or a higher EI film like 800Z or similar.

Another really good option is a good flash like a Nikon SB-90 or similar that you can use to pop in a bit of fill light to light the people up better. Not a lot just some to get them off the toe of the film curve.
    Thank you very much. I shall keep this in mind going forward. For violating a cardinal rule, my results werent horrific; just not what I expected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Thank you very much. I shall keep this in mind going forward. For violating a cardinal rule, my results werent horrific; just not what I expected.
    Exactly.

The other thing to look for is what actually works fine and what doesn't in your less than perfect shots.

For example the signs and building facades in the background are IMO at a very usable level of exposure. Given your expectations, the people are just underexposed, too dark and not enough detail.

Simply adding exposure to the whole shot may make the shot workable but it might also place the background too light in the print.

That's a "problem" or "defect" in the lighting of the scene, not a problem with you camera or the film.

One of the most important lessons I've ever learned was taught to me by shots like yours, it is that my backgrounds and my foregrounds are regularly lit differently than what I need for the print I want. That's why I use my flash units a lot.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin