Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,881   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujifilm 400H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fujifilm 400H

Well, I finally got back my rolls of Fujifilm 400H from the lab. Sort of surprised by the results. Almost all the images are very saturated and with high contrast. I was expecting the opposite. I'm not sure what to make of this. Did the lab process the film wrong? The following images should give you some idea on the saturation and contrast levels.

Last edited by RattyMouse; 10-24-2012 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    400 H is the best film I have ever seen from Fuji. May be all the artificial colors and bright lights and better exposure made the difference. Its a learning curve for each camera.

And no flare, no blue cast weather changes everything. I think your nighttime compositions are better than the daylight.

Best wishes,
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    who did the printing, u or the lab?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    who did the printing, u or the lab?
    The lab did the developing and the scanning. No prints were made.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Scanning, you see. The lab will auto-correct the contrast and colour to what they (or the automated scanner) think looks right, which may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with the native appearance of that film.

To know what it actually looks like, you need to print it optically to RA4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Scanning, you see. The lab will auto-correct the contrast and colour to what they (or the automated scanner) think looks right, which may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with the native appearance of that film.

To know what it actually looks like, you need to print it optically to RA4.
    Thanks for your reply. I assume I can ask for uncorrected scans?

The other scans I get from this lab, Reala and Acros, do not show any dramatic differences from what one would expect them to be. I'm not so sure why 400H would be so different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A negative can record a lot more tonal range than you monitor or any photographic paper can display. When most scanners scan negative film, they try to squeeze all the tones into the result, which yields ugly results if you have strong highlights and high contrast in your scene. This is why straight RA4 printing normally works much better for these kinds of negs. The only chance you have with scanning is if you get a high end scan with 16 bit color depth per channel, then you can manually adjust the tonal range to your liking.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand that scanning can change the properties of negative film. However, are these changes consistent with what I am showing in the images above? Would so much color be added to a low saturation negative? The amount of color I'm seeing in my images is really much higher than I was expecting.

To put it simply, do these images look like they are from 400H film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I understand that scanning can change the properties of negative film. However, are these changes consistent with what I am showing in the images above? Would so much color be added to a low saturation negative? The amount of color I'm seeing in my images is really much higher than I was expecting.
    If you underexpose film, colors are said to be more saturated. Since you have highlights in your scene, depending on your metering method chances are high that you underexposed these shots.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post

To put it simply, do these images look like they are from 400H film?
    They don't look like 400H photos that I'm used to seeing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin