Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,902   Posts: 1,555,827   Online: 773

Shooter
    35mm

Filtration for colour prints

When printing last night I was a bit puzzled by the filtration needed for a colour negative (Fuji Superia 200 35mm ) onto Fuji paper. (12x16).
    I was amazed that the print required a zero filtration with the Yellow filter and only 10 with the Magenta. I have never had this before, is it THAT unusual? With a yellow filtration at zero, if the print had still showed to be a little blue could I go further by using the Cyan and Magenta filters to introduce a bit more blue to compensate?

As I said, I have never before had to use a zero filter on any print and I have been colour printing for at least 20 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't printed Fuji color negs in years, but doesn't Fuji have a deeper orange base than other brands? But it doesn't really matter. I love the look of Fuji color materials. It has a nice "Japanesy" look.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you start a new batch of paper? A couple of years ago I saw reports of Fuji paper with this unusual filtration. I wonder if you managed to get some of that 'surprise' paper...

Shooter
    35mm
    How old was the film? I shot a roll of Kodak Gold that I got at a yard sale that was about 12 years old, and probably not stored well, and ended up at like 0M5Y for a few prints.

Shooter
    35mm
    The box of paper was perhaps 4 months old and had approx 40 sheets left. The film was one I originally developed in December 2010 and it was in date then. I don't keep film, especially colour if it is time expired. The 1st small print I made of that image was on 8x10 paper I bought at the same time as the4 12x16 and that was normal filtration. (for Fuji) Just for record, my enlarger is a LPL6700 with colour head.)

Shooter
    35mm
    BMbikerider, I had a very similar problem with Fuji Crystal Archive MP way back in 2006. Have a look at the my thread" Fuji Crystal Archive MP and Yellow Filtration". My paper was the MP type and not what you are using but like your problem, mine came out of the blue as it were like yours and the filtration decrease in Y had not been experienced before.

Although I make no mention in that thread of the outcome I think I can recall contacting the retailer who asked for an example print with filtrations on the back. The retailer never admitted that the paper was at fault but did replace it and on later prints from other films the issue disappeared.

However I cannot rule out a problem for definite with the films used. See PE's comments in the thread

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin