Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,739   Online: 882

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agitation

As the error on the agitation issue consists of omitting only one word, "Inverting", I thought the advice would be clear.
    My advice is to read the headline of the processing part of the manual as it was written in German.

Thus the following text in the manual is aimed at both, inverting and roating processing. Read it as:

-) In case of inverting processing to invert (turn upside down the tank) for the FD/CD/BL steps continuously for the first 15sec, then invert just once every 15sec

-) in case of rotating processing: forget about the sentence above...
    Last edited by AgX; 10-27-2012 at 08:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: optimized my wording

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK. Forgive me if I am confused. So are you asking what the proper agitation method is for rotary processing?

It isn't listed in the notes because rotary processing doesn't require user input. Just an increase of time and temperature. Which are part of the same notes that continue on page 9.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wayne, yes, you got it wrong: I'm not asking about any agitation method. It was the OP.

Temperature and time

And Tetenal does not advise to rise the processing temperature, but to pre-heat at 39°C.
    Which would mean to heat it seperately and then at the start of processing insert it into the 38°C machine.
    Which does not make sense (to me). Especially as in the C-41 manual they advise to pre-heat at 38°, which just means rotating the tank for some minutes "idle" before starting the process. And in the C-41 manual there is no reference to inverting processing.

That 39°C and the prolonged time for rotating in the E-6 manual would rather make sense for inverting the tank outside a warming bath: using higher process temp. and longer time to counteract cooling of the drum.

As I said they made a mess out of that manual.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-27-2012 at 08:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That still doesn't clear up the different development times then.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank goodness for the answers that agree with me - at least I am now sure I am not loosing my marbles!

However since posting last time I have done a bit of research and come up with a website giving the processing time recommended for the Tetenal chemicals by JOBO themselves. They are very similar, but not identical, but a lot clearer.

Pre warming is the same. 1st development is 6.5 mins with the rotary speed set on the highest setting and the rest of the process is the same, but they say that for all FUJI films ONLY the 1st development should be 7.5 mins. I will speak to the importers tomorrow and get this sorted out once and for all.

This raises another question about the extended FUJI times. The two films I have waiting to be processed now are the last ones I have with the Sensia name. The remainder of my stock, is the reincarnated Agfa Precisia which is actually made in Japan (so the box claims). As I don't know of any other film manufacturer in Japan other than Fuji, is this reincarnated film actually FUJI in disguise, or the original Agfa film made to the Agfa recipe over there?.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 10-28-2012 at 06:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfaphoto Precisa: In general Agfaphoto has been using films of other manufacturers to get their portfolio of films complete, but still using Agfa tradenames for those films. They even esxchanged suppliers.
    So far I have found some Agfaphoto datasheets being just copies of data of known Ferrania and Fuji films.

Agfa still manufactures a reversal film, but to my knowledge that is not offered by AgfaPhoto.

BMbikerider:
    Your reply even confused me more, especially on those rotation speed settings. Thus the Tetenal manual above is even more questionable.

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem continues! I have had a long almost meaningless conversation with the Tetenal Company in UK who at first did not appear to want to discuss the problem and it wasn't until I mentioned that I would get in touch with the parent company in Germany and complain, that someone actually phoned back and spoke to me. Basically,They could not explain the difference between the two temperatures mentioned (38 +39 degrees C) and the different times. They actually stated the longer times were due to the higher temperatures. That is a stupid uninformed remark! Nor could they explain why, what appears to be inversion agitation is included in the ones for rotary agitation without giving an adequate explanation

The guy supposedly from the technical department actually suggested that I carry out tests myself to find out what is the correct times to use.... Errrrr ....... no... they are supposed to do that before they market the item!

They are now getting in touch with Tetenal in Germany to get the correct answer.

I will never use Tetenal again if this is their degree of customer support.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 10-29-2012 at 07:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Confusing Instructions.

Just get some Arista Rapid E-6 haha

They have clear instructions, and even a calculation for extending the chemical for re-use multiple times, it works great, my fuji Velvia is just as bright as ever, 3 step system, simple and it works.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Confusing Instructions.

Oh, I have found pushing E-6 2 stops in Arista Rapid E-6 chemical causes the film to lose a significant amount if color, but I haven't tried that with other E-6 chemical so it may be normal, or the film may have been bad, it was garage sale film. Still developed the exposure correctly though, and that was on a 7th re-use.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=BMbikerider;1412172]They are now getting in touch with Tetenal in Germany to get the correct answer.

Good. I am sure that Tetenal in Germany are big enough and clever enough to have people who can resolve the issue. In a country where English is spoken and written very well by a large percentage of the population, I'd be surprised if Tetenal doesn't have English speakers and writers whose command of English isn't as good as yours and mine. It's just a question of finding that/ those person(s).

I used to buy the Tetenal C41 kits from Nova Darkroom and found them very good. Of course there was ( or wasn't depending on your point of view) the issue of blix as opposed to separate bleach and fix but that's another matter

Let us know what happens Thanks

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin