Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,158   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Confusing Instructions.

I have just had a new 1ltr Tetenal E6 kit delivered and I am somewhat confused by the instructions. They seem to contradict each other at opposite ends of the instruction pages. The last lot of E6 I used was also Tetenal and the instructions booklet from that lot shows they are different. Are they covering themselves just in case something goes wrong?

In the new booklet The instructions are shown on page 8 for 'Rotary Discard' which I always use.They give the pre heat time as 5 mins and the 1st development time as 6mins 15 secs, which is the same as in the older booklet. As are the remaining steps shown on page 8.

However in the section Notes on processing steps right at the bottom it suggests to me that the agitation should be constant for the 1st 15 seconds, then once every 15 seconds. That to me doesn't sound at all like rotary processing but they don't say so. Then on page 9 there is a bit about stabilising and below that a line which reads :-" For Rotary processing equipment, pre heat to 39C/102F and first development time +7 mins"

Has something been lost in the translation or am I simply being a little bit slow? What time should the 1st development be 6'.15" or 7 Mins and is it rotary or inversion agitation?

Below that is a section about general instructions and the 2nd paragraph contains something I have never come across before, about plastics absorbing the 2nd developer and should not be used!!! I only know of rotary processors that use a plastic tank and the measures are plastic so what should be done? A scan of the two pages is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img904.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't help with the specific question but I have emailed Tetenal's customer/tech support and got a useful response a few days later. The English was a little shaky but I got the gist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rotary is always constant agitation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneStevenson View Post
    Rotary is always constant agitation.
    That would seem obvious, but they don't make it clear. they give 2 processing times for the 1st development 6.15 mins/secs and another for 7 mins using rotary method and then refer to agitation at the start which is clearly inversion agitation. They are not very good. I could use the old set of instructions which ar clear precise and easily understood, but I don't know if they have changed the formula also they have included sections in the new instructions about contamination of plastic tanks by the colour developer, this was not there before.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can only sympathise. I have never heard of an inversion system requiring less time nor of plastic tanks giving contamination. Given how much Jobo tanks are used for colour work there may be a lawsuit from Jobo on its way as we speak

Unless Tetenal address these issues which might simply be careless translation or lazy text composition then assuming there are alternatives to Tetenal E6 chems it might find its sales dropping off

In the U.K. there are several retailers who are switched on such as Ag Photographic, Silverprint, Process Supplies, Firstcall and RKPhotographic. Raise it with one of them which supplies the kit.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Unless Tetenal address these issues which might simply be careless translation or lazy text composition then assuming there are alternatives to Tetenal E6 chems it might find its sales dropping off
    I can confirm that the translation is not the problem. The German instructions have the same inconsistencies.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seemingly when giving the manuals a new lay-out they messed things up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Seemingly when giving the manuals a new lay-out they messed things up.
    Certainly that is what my instinct said. Still it seems incredible that the instructions weren't proof read by at least one other person after the person whom, it appears, put the text together badly. Hopefully the mistakes have been pointed out to Tetenal and new instructions are in the latest kits

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by swchris View Post
    I can confirm that the translation is not the problem. The German instructions have the same inconsistencies.
    NO!

The English text has as header:

Processing - Rotary Discard

The German text:

Processing - Inverting- and Rotary-processing

Thus with that header in mind the reference to different dynamics of inversion makes sense!

The French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Danish versions all follow the German one.
    Obviously the error (omission) is only in the English translation.

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Hopefully the mistakes have been pointed out to Tetenal and new instructions are in the latest kits.
    Not Likely: the manual with the erroneous English text is still at their website.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-27-2012 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=AgX;1411493]NO!

The English text has as header:

Processing - Rotary Discard

The German text:

Processing - Inverting- and Rotary-processing

Thus with that header in mind the reference to different dynamics of inversion makes sense!

The French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Danish versions all follow the German one.
    Obviously the error (omission) is only in the English translation.

Assuming the OP is looking for clarification rather than simply pointing out the confusion Tetenal that the English translation/ text transformation has resulted in, can I ask that you clarify what it should say in English. I know from our correspondence that your grasp of English is superb. It would help me as well

Thanks

pentaxuser

/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin