Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,265   Online: 905

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mario, you are right. Use Photo Flo 200 + Formalin and you will be OK.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    Can I assume this can be done months after?

I've always used the Arista 3 bath kits for E-6 and only recently understood that its POSSIBLE that kit doesn't contain a stabilizer component, do you happen to know?

(I know this is a C-41 thread but the last poster mentioned it)

So is this the same stabilizer? As in could I also just use photos flow and the other component just mentioned.

I'm going to call the company directly and ask them but I doubt the sales people will know.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    4x5 Format

PE
    Well then, no, I'm wrong. I said that because I only use "current/modern" film, then I don't need to worry about formalin and I can go ahead and use Final Rinse (which has no formalin in its formula).

Your response implies that even with modern film, I need the combination Photo Flo 200 and formalin--not final rinse.
    --Mario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sory Mario, but I misunderstood.

All color films can use the Photo Flo 200 + Formalin route, but modern C41 films can use the new Final Rinse. The reason I continue to mention the Formalin stabilizer is that in some places, the final rinse is not available or, OTOH, Formalin is banned. So, that is my answer.

E6 films of all type and age require some sort of Formalin treatment. The 3 bath kids do not supply it. You can treat films that need it after the fact, but not too much after the fact. IDK what the time period is.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sory Mario, but I misunderstood.

All color films can use the Photo Flo 200 + Formalin route, but modern C41 films can use the new Final Rinse. The reason I continue to mention the Formalin stabilizer is that in some places, the final rinse is not available or, OTOH, Formalin is banned. So, that is my answer.

E6 films of all type and age require some sort of Formalin treatment. The 3 bath kids do not supply it. You can treat films that need it after the fact, but not too much after the fact. IDK what the time period is.

PE
    :/ well it's been 3 months since my Grand Canyon trip :/

Thanks for the info.

Is Photo Flo 200 different then standard wetting agents?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    :/ well it's been 3 months since my Grand Canyon trip :/

Thanks for the info.

Is Photo Flo 200 different then standard wetting agents?

Photo Flo 200 is the standard Kodak wetting agent intended for people like us.

Photo Flo 600 is the Kodak alternative - it is intended for high volume commercial use, and special precautions should be used when handling it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    matt is right. Here is more info. Photo Flo 600 contains Ethylene Glycol which is a poison. But, it is diluted 1:600. However, Photo Flo 200 is diluted 1:200 and contains Propylene Glycol which is non-toxic.

So, there it is, your choice.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    matt is right. Here is more info. Photo Flo 600 contains Ethylene Glycol which is a poison. But, it is diluted 1:600. However, Photo Flo 200 is diluted 1:200 and contains Propylene Glycol which is non-toxic.

So, there it is, your choice.

PE

Thanks Matt and PE, sounds like I'll stick with the 200 then, but I have to check, I bought cheapo wetting agent which I'm still using up, but I also bought a 500ml bottle of kodak wetting agent from my local store who begged me to buy it half off because no one buys the chemistry on his shelf and he's trying to get rid of it all haha, hope that's not the commercial stuff... lol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nothing hugely dangerous with the -600, just don't drink it or snort it. Ethylene Glycol is far less hazardous than most toners for example: it's toxic but doesn't bioaccumulate. Most antifreezes contain the same stuff.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Nothing hugely dangerous with the -600, just don't drink it or snort it. Ethylene Glycol is far less hazardous than most toners for example: it's toxic but doesn't bioaccumulate. Most antifreezes contain the same stuff.
    LOL that's like saying, well toxic waste isn't really that poisonous compared to the atomic core at a power plant... Haha

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin