Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,463   Online: 1041

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, another reason is that the 600 is normally harder to find and more expensive.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Nothing hugely dangerous with the -600, just don't drink it or snort it. Ethylene Glycol is far less hazardous than most toners for example: it's toxic but doesn't bioaccumulate. Most antifreezes contain the same stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    LOL that's like saying, well toxic waste isn't really that poisonous compared to the atomic core at a power plant... Haha

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Um no, it isn't. Will you change antifreeze in your car? What do you have under your kitchen counter? Now you have to be careful with antifreeze, partly because pets will drink it given the chance because it tastes sweet and it is highly toxic if ingested but normal handling presents no problems at all.

Good lord, what's with this chemical paranoia? Watch out for that dihydrogen monoxide. It's a real killer.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Um no, it isn't. Will you change antifreeze in your car? What do you have under your kitchen counter? Now you have to be careful with antifreeze, partly because pets will drink it given the chance because it tastes sweet and it is highly toxic if ingested but normal handling presents no problems at all.

Good lord, what's with this chemical paranoia? Watch out for that dihydrogen monoxide. It's a real killer.

GASP!!!! Dihydrogen Monoxide is still available? That stuff should be banned immediately. Doesn't anybody realize how dangerous DHMO is when it gets into our reservoirs?
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    We banned DHMO in our office a year ago! I never allow it in my house. I warn all my friends too!

I can't figure out why they all think I'm insane. Hmm...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I can't tell if you're joking about the dihydrogen monoxide or not lol.

I read up on it, it's in ethyl alcohol but it also alters DNA, so it's not exactly safe haha.

Also I was obviously exaggerating out of silliness but you know what I meant.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I can't tell if you're joking about the dihydrogen monoxide or not lol.

I read up on it, it's in ethyl alcohol but it also alters DNA, so it's not exactly safe haha.

Also I was obviously exaggerating out of silliness but you know what I meant.

I know it was an exageration but you seemed to mean it (Photoflo 600) presented significant dangers in handling.

Are you sure you "read up" on DHMO? Everything said in that link about it is true. It is also more commonly known as "water."

http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo Flo 600 is used at a rate of 1:600 which is way way more dilute than the 200 used at 1:200. In no way is it severely toxic dilute. The concentrate s kind of like antifreeze as noted above. I also gave 2 reasons above why 600 is not commonly used. Although a local dealer sold me nearly 1 gallon of it for about $20 about 3 years ago. I do have it and do use it.

As for Di-Hydrogen Monoxide, Stone has it identified incorrectly as to chemical nature and effects on the human body. Too much of it can actually cause suffocation. I have banned it in favor of CH3-CH2-OH. I use it in reasonable amounts and it is quite safe. The purer it is, the more effective it is as the major impurity is Di-Hydrogen-Monoxide.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I know it was an exageration but you seemed to mean it (Photoflo 600) presented significant dangers in handling.

Are you sure you "read up" on DHMO? Everything said in that link about it is true. It is also more commonly known as "water."

http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp
    Well I have now been double pranked, because I didn't go to your link, I googled it, found this website, skimmed a few chapters, and then left it. (I'm on my phone so I didn't want to read the whole page).

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have banned it in favor of CH3-CH2-OH. I use it in reasonable amounts and it is quite safe. The purer it is, the more effective it is as the major impurity is Di-Hydrogen-Monoxide.
    PE
    I do love a good aged CH3-CH2-OH!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, some do say that Di-Hydrogen Monoxide will kill good Scotch
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin