Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,705   Online: 842

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    But…once you get your processes sorted it is no harder than b&w.
    Just a bit more labor intensive.
    Certainly. Just takes a bit more setup and a few more things to mix together. If you have a temp-controlled bath it's really no harder at all.

I haven't tried without a temp-control bath (non-standard temperatures invite colour crossover) but have experimented with adjusting times a bit (pulling for contrast reduction to fit with modern high-contrast RA4 papers), and I can say that time control isn't really critical.

Shooter
    35mm
    I read on another thread about a year ago that one of those turkey roasters would make a good heated bath for C-41 chemicals. Has this been confirmed by anyone? It's the temp control that gets me in trouble.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Turkey roasters, aquarium heaters, etc. all sound like an awful lot of trouble. Temperature control is critical but not that critical. Even so, the developer is the only temperature-critical step, and three minutes goes by fast. I fill a Playmate cooler with hot water and after several dry runs, found a water bath temperature that maintains the 100F developer temperature through the duration. I repeat the test periodically as variables change -- ambient temperature, developer loss, etc. -- and adjust accordingly.

I'm not an expert -- just started doing this myself. But this is working well for me thus far...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: C-41 processing for neophytes

The roaster is set it and forget it. I've got two marks there on the dial. One for 97F RA4 and one for 105F E6. Keeps it +-2F all day long.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kerne View Post
    The roaster is set it and forget it. I've got two marks there on the dial. One for 97F RA4 and one for 105F E6. Keeps it +-2F all day long.
    I'm kind of terrified that you can buy a food-warming device that will happily keep your food right in the middle of the bacterial-growth zone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: C-41 processing for neophytes

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I'm kind of terrified that you can buy a food-warming device that will happily keep your food right in the middle of the bacterial-growth zone.
    We make up for it by government mandated safety packaging on razor blades and stuffed children's toys.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can buy colour stuff separately (and that's how labs do it, 50L+ at a time) but there are so many components that the manufacturers tend to sell kits. It's the easy way to make sure you aren't missing a component.

A proper C41 process requires a developer (3 concentrates), bleach, fixer and stabiliser. That's 6 different concentrates you need to mix up into 4 baths, which means that buying separately is annoying, especially if you don't know exactly what you need. E6 is slightly more complicated again.
    Ok. So which "kit" do you recommend?
    --Mario

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Fuji or the Rollei, depending on availability. The Rollei has had issues with leaky packages and developer parts DOA, but it's easier (in the EU anyway) to buy the Rollei components separately in small (i.e. 100mL and 1L, not 20L) quantities. I think the Fuji costs more, the Rollei has slightly higher dev capacity in the kit and the Fuji has twice the bleach/fix capacity in the kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Remember that for decades the high priesthood of color proclaimed how difficult it was.
    Oh! Gosh! What?? I never got that memo! In the '60s [19 not 18] I processed Ektachome in the basement sink and did not think it was hard.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Fuji or the Rollei, depending on availability. The Rollei has had issues with leaky packages and developer parts DOA, but it's easier (in the EU anyway) to buy the Rollei components separately in small (i.e. 100mL and 1L, not 20L) quantities. I think the Fuji costs more, the Rollei has slightly higher dev capacity in the kit and the Fuji has twice the bleach/fix capacity in the kit.
    This is what they have available at Freestyle (great place to shop):

http://freestylephoto.biz/c1001-Colo...ls-Color-Print
    --Mario

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin