Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,870   Online: 884

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might want to consider shopping elsewhere for your colour chems. I buy plenty of stuff from Freestyle but there's no point in sticking with just one store if they don't stock what you want.

They do have the mini Rollei kit, but there's not much capacity (10 rolls) in that. It'd be a good thing if you just wanted to try developing a handful of rolls though and not forking out for 80-100 rolls worth.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You might want to consider shopping elsewhere for your colour chems. I buy plenty of stuff from Freestyle but there's no point in sticking with just one store if they don't stock what you want.
    But they have the Rollei kit which you recommended? Or is it another Rollei kit, not the one Freestyle is selling, that you're recommending?

In any case, I guess it'll have to be freestyle because they appear to be one of the very few places in the US that sells color chemistry. Others sell other brands. None sell Fuji. I put a call into Glass Key Photo here in San Francisco. Matt has a very tiny store but he surprises you by selling stuff you can usually only find online.

Another question. If I shoot a roll of Kodak film, I can only develop it with Kodak chemistry? (And the same question goes if I shoot fuji?) Or can I use any brand chemistry for any brand of film? Thanks.
    --Mario

Shooter
    35mm
    C41 should be C41. In the huge mass-market labs of pre-digital times, when zillions of rolls of happy-snaps arrived it was necessary to put everything through the same machines, so that is how the process and films were designed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They have a very small (500mL) Rollei kit - 10 rolls worth, which has such a tiny quantity of stabiliser that it's reportedly difficult to use. It's fine if you only want to develop 10 rolls or see if C41 is for you, but it's a small kit. I was thinking more along the lines of the 2L (40 rolls) or 5L (100 rolls) Rollei kits that Freestyle no longer carries.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP
    C41 should be C41. In the huge mass-market labs of pre-digital times, when zillions of rolls of happy-snaps arrived it was necessary to put everything through the same machines, so that is how the process and films were designed.
    As to macandal's question you are right - all C41 films and processes are compatible, that's what makes them C41. It's a standardised process.

However, not all C41 chemistry is equal. If you buy a kit with blix (combined bleach and fix steps), the bleach will eat the fix and it has very poor shelf-life, which can mean poor quality processing (fails to remove all silver) after your first batch. If you have enough film on-hand to completely exhaust a kit, the Tetenal ones should be great: they supply bleach and fix separately (long shelf life in the store) but they get mixed together for use. If you use it all up in a week, no problems, but don't expect to keep a mixed-up Tetenal kit in the longer term like you can with the 3-bath (Fuji, Kodak, Rollei) kits.
    Last edited by polyglot; 12-18-2012 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Okay, so the place here in San Francisco only carries the Jobo/Tetnal C-41 Press Kit, which Freestyle also carries. So it's Rollei or Tetenal (1L and 5L versions at Freestyle). Should I just go ahead and get the 1L version of tetenal? Thanks.
    --Mario

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sure, get the 1L Tetenal. Just don't mix all the blix up at once; try to mix only enough to process the films you have in a given batch.

If the instructions (and I've never used the Tetenal) allow you an option to mix up the bleach and fix separately, do that. But the chemistry might not allow it; for example some kits have buffering agents in one part that are required for the other part to work properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just developed a sheet of 4x5 Portra 160 using solution I had mixed up a couple of weeks ago then put in a plastic bottle and filled the space with butane gas to keep it fresh and sealed it. Now the film has come out completely blank not a sign of any image at all. My processing times follow the standard recommended widely of 3.15 dev, 5 blix, 2 stab.

I don't know if it is the old solutions that is the problem, or does it sound likel I have inadvertantly tried to develop a blank film? I use the Tetanol Colortec kit.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    C41 should be C41.
    Ok. Along these lines. I was shopping for paper and I could only find RA-4, is this the only kind of paper there is, or should I try to find C-41 paper. Does that even exist? Thanks.
    --Mario

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Ok. Along these lines. I was shopping for paper and I could only find RA-4, is this the only kind of paper there is, or should I try to find C-41 paper. Does that even exist? Thanks.
    RA4 is the paper process, AFAIK there is not C41 process paper, and there never was.....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    RA4 is the paper process, AFAIK there is not C41 process paper, and there never was.....
    Ok. Thanks. I just thought I'd ask before I bought the "wrong" kind of paper. So, there is no "multigrade" kind of paper like there is in B&W, right? There is only 1 kind?
    --Mario

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin