Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,811   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

C-41 processing for neophytes

Here's a link on processing your own C-41.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/26/...me/#more-83314
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    It's an interesting link, but the photos that are posted, look like he used expired film. There are some strange color shifts in those pictures. Is he doing "lomo" photos?
    I don't mean to be nit-picky, but when I do break out my color negative film, I like true to life colors normally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Obviously lomo style images. However, if you look at my stuff (not just a shameless plug i promise): http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w...ista+e6&m=text and http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w...lor+c41&m=text

these are uncorrected and developed using running water from a sink to stabilize the temperature in a dishtub. all you need is a good thermometer for nice E6 and C41.

It's saved me several hundred dollars already.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing. Indeed lomo style but it's still interesting for a b&w shooter like me who wants to begin in developing some color films.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alternatively...

(self-link)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't mind his Lomo colours. I do mind the marks and stains all over his images. This week I've processed a lot of C-41 with very good results, clean and with colour that matches a pro lab reference. Got my info from APUG and polyglot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Indeed lomo style but it's still interesting for a b&w shooter like me who wants to begin in developing some color films.
    The problem is, some people will THINK this is the proper way of processing colour film, when they see results that are muddy with horrible colour, they will be convinced that it's impossible to do at home, and they will run out and buy a digital camera, because they don't want to pay $15/roll for lab processing.

I once decided that half the stuff on the Internet was BS, and the other half was someone pushing an agenda..... I have yet to see someone prove that wrong....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ok, so..., where?

So, now that I've learned to process my own B&W film, I wanted to learn how to process color. So, where could I go for instructions on how to do it? Since the link posted by Mainecoonmaniac does not appear to be the right way to do color, where can one learn the proper way? Is the link posted by polyglot it? Is that better? Thanks so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Read the Polyglot link, watch some of the tutorials on Youtube and you should be ready to start. You might find some contradictory info on Youtube such as people washing the film after the stabiliser, in which case refer back to the Polyglot instructions. Also follow the instructions that come with whatever kit you buy. It's a pretty simple process - the key thing is temperature control in the developer stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of points here:

The example from the OP is good film with a bad process. It has severe crossover and some other problems to boot, and he does not recognize it which is even worse. This may be due to his technique or due to the process temperature which is low. Also, black plastic garbage bags leak light big time. Look through one! Nuff said on that!

Don't use this guys advice.

Use 100F, use a real changing bag, use a prewet to temper the tank, and use a bleach then fix to insure that all silver is removed.

PE

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin