Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 771

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    No, they need bulk-loaded magazines for some $20k machine they have for mounting slides.

Im not very dextrous with small things and time poor. Hand doing them one by one will be slow.
    Correct on both points.

Earlier this year the lab I worked at had to replace their existing mounter as supplies of mounts to fit it had ended. It used two part mounts which relied on very precise fit to give a good seal and the tools used in making them wear out and need regular replacement or you lose that precision. That was just too expensive and no longer made economic sense for them to continue making them so we had to switch to GePe which aren't as nice but come ready assembled and don't need such accurate moulding.

As for mounting by hand, ok if it's just the odd film but any quantity ......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In sydney both myself (The Lighthouse lab) and Vision Image Lab have stopped doing it. Vision Image lab stopped because their machine broke and it cant be repaired. I stopped because I was tired of mounting. I can mount but I wont mount, I feel people need to learn the art of the edit.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always preferred to mount my own slides, I always only mount the "keepers" and bin the rest, I try to be selective I've been shooting slides for more than fifty years, photography is essentially a selective medium, and I don't want to have a houseful of crap slides.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-02-2012 at 05:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin