Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,119   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Local LAB can't mount 35mm slides anymore

They can no-longer get the magazines for their machine. What are my options? Are there slide mounters for amateurs which are fast? Or should I find a lab in Sydney or Melbourne that can still do it? (pleased for any suggestions).

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm
    B&H sells them here in the states. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Mounts too. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...717+4229849849

I don't know about locally in Australia. Sorry. If you're patient and steady-handed, you don't need the machine to do it, but I'm sure the machine is faster.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always did it manually, never felt the need for using a machine. Slide mounts are available readily at pretty much ever well-stocked photo-equipment store, maybe not offline, but online for sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Once upon a time Polaroid had an instant slide film and an illuminated slide mounter as well as snap-together plastic slide mounts. The film wasn't so great but the gadget was simple and worked well. It was manual. Other companies also had mounts and they must still be available. If you are able to get the mounts, determine the length to cut the frames and be careful not to scratch the film when handling it.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a company called Ge-Pe that makes slide mounts of all sizes, with and without glass. I know they have a slide cutter so you can mount them yourself. Try googling Ge-pe or E mail a company in UK called www.firstcallphotographic.co.uk. They do a lot of Ge-Pe stuff and I am sure they have a cutter listed in their catalogue.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have mounted a lot of 35mm slides manually as this was a service in a lab where I worked - fortunately most rolls were unmounted. Anyway, we would cut them with (sharp) scissors over a light-box, making say a dozen individual transparencies on the box, then give the glass mounts a sharp tap on the workbench to dislodge any fluff before sliding in the edge of the film and closing the slide. Note that each frame has eight perforations and the end of the frame should be between the perforations - if the camera is mis-adjusted then you will see it somewhere along the roll and so can still decide where to cut on any very dark frames. We always used GePe mounts as, at the time, they were the best available, for ease of mounting and reliable projection.

It is a good idea to do everything you can to avoid creating static-electricity around the area of work, and you might also want to use one nitrile glove if you have sticky fingers. The whole process is quick and straightforward if you are organised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a little over 6 hours after a casual enquiry you got 3 links to places to get magazines. I would say these people won't, not can't do it.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    In a little over 6 hours after a casual enquiry you got 3 links to places to get magazines. I would say these people won't, not can't do it.
    No, they need bulk-loaded magazines for some $20k machine they have for mounting slides.

Im not very dextrous with small things and time poor. Hand doing them one by one will be slow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forget about mounting slides and just slip them into archival sleeves. Or if projection is your thing and mounting is a must, sniff out some Gepe antinewton glass mounts on FleaBay. Most people only use trannies now for printing because the palette is considerably more enriched and enlivened as opposed to negative emulsions.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mounting slides is easy. There were plastic clip-together mounts like Gepe and Wess (?). Then Gepe also offered anti-Newton glass mounts, which would be more work. Standard mounts were cardboard
    clamshells which you simply dropped the film in and sealed along the edge with an iron. Took just
    a few seconds apiece. If you didn't want to use scissors, there were inexpensive little plastic slitters
    you could feed film thru an easily shear it. Probably this kind of gear is still around, if not still mfg new. Labs around here still routinely mount slides, so must still have a source for the supplies. But
    you don't need any kind of fancy automated gear like they use. Mounting a slide is far easier than
    making a sandwich for lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin