Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,668   Online: 909

Shooter
    Multi Format

any restrictions transporting c-41 and e-6 to/from US/Canadain a private car?

Hi - couldn't think of best place to post this, so:

Yahoo, I'm moving back to Alaska after a couple long years away. My photography will immediately shift back into high-gear because I love and know AK so well.

As you might imagine, though, getting chems is even harder there than elsewhere in the US, esp. e-6.

So I'm ordering 3 of the gallon kits of e-6 and one of c-41 from freestyle before I leave (they don't ship them to AK!), to be delivered to me here in idaho and plan to carry them in my van when I drive up in December.

I haven't found anything on the web about this, so asking is anybody's got any experience/advice.

I guess I'm more concerned about the US-return than getting into Canada since the US side are always more irritating/paranoid/arbitrary/uneducated (example: my car got searched one time because the hick officer at Pt. Huron, MI just couldn't believe I'd go to Quebec just to take a camping-photo vacation).

Anyway, I'd like to be prepared ... besides the hundreds of dollars these are costing me, if they were 'seized' for some reason legal or otherwise I don't know that I could get any via any other realistic method in AK. That could put me in a very expensive bind.

And - if anybody has any idea of a place that'll ship chems to Alaska, I'd be appreciate that info too!

Thanks,

/robert

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had no problems bringing chemistry into Canada, never tried it going to the US.

You can reasonably carry all the ORMD type hazmat stuff you want in a private vehicle in either country, and across the borders, the freight rules apply to commercial carriers.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liebermann View Post
    ... when I drive up in December.
    I'm sure the chemicals won't like the low temperatures they might be subject to sitting in your car.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not aware of any laws against it. I would think if everything is in labeled boxes, bags, bottles... and you have the receipt of purchase it would help minimize potential hassle.

I'm across the border in Yukon and can vouch that shipping stuff North of 60 can be a pain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact the people who actually work at the border crossings and ask them your questions. Customs brokers might also know.

Sometimes you might be forced to pay duty and taxes at the Canadian crossing, and then apply for a refund when you re-export the items. Depends on the values involved and the taxes they would attract (if any) if they were imported into Canada for consumption here.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liebermann View Post
    Hi - couldn't think of best place to post this, so:

Yahoo, I'm moving back to Alaska after a couple long years away. My photography will immediately shift back into high-gear because I love and know AK so well.

As you might imagine, though, getting chems is even harder there than elsewhere in the US, esp. e-6.

So I'm ordering 3 of the gallon kits of e-6 and one of c-41 from freestyle before I leave (they don't ship them to AK!), to be delivered to me here in idaho and plan to carry them in my van when I drive up in December.

I haven't found anything on the web about this, so asking is anybody's got any experience/advice.

I guess I'm more concerned about the US-return than getting into Canada since the US side are always more irritating/paranoid/arbitrary/uneducated (example: my car got searched one time because the hick officer at Pt. Huron, MI just couldn't believe I'd go to Quebec just to take a camping-photo vacation).

Anyway, I'd like to be prepared ... besides the hundreds of dollars these are costing me, if they were 'seized' for some reason legal or otherwise I don't know that I could get any via any other realistic method in AK. That could put me in a very expensive bind.

And - if anybody has any idea of a place that'll ship chems to Alaska, I'd be appreciate that info too!

Thanks,

/robert
    According to Canadian Border Services This is part way down the page:

In-transit travel through Canada

If you are an American resident, you can transport goods through Canada to the United States. To simplify the clearance process, carry three copies of the list of goods you are transporting. The list should include the description and value of the goods, as well as the serial numbers (if applicable). You should pack consumable goods such as alcohol, tobacco and food in containers that the border services officers can close and seal when you arrive.

Basically Canada Customs will put a seal on your container, when you enter Canada, US customs will inspect that seal to make sure it's intact when you return to the US.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin