Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,191   Online: 959

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you guys know the diameters of the Fuji roller core? I have both 8" and 20" paper. I can go to Lowes and cut a piece of PVC pipe to hold the paper. Then hang the roller up somewhere, probably from the ceiling of the basement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just use a broom stick. It does not matter if the core of the tube is filled by the shaft. If it is smaller it will not unroll as easily, and in this appplication that is what you want.

In the past there were things called roller easels, that basically had a feed of paper on one side, and a take up on the other side. You printed the size of the mask, and set the paper advance setting to match that mask size. mask size was variable. Some masks were rotatable, and the easel slid on ball bearing into grooves with detents, so you could say print 2-5x7's most efficiently on a 12" wide roll. Motor advance and paper gate open and close coordinated with the advance buttom when you were done exposing that part of the paper.

Most custom print shops pitched these devices a half decade ago. They are kind of big for home use. They take the roll of exposed paper and feed it into a roller procesor and prints were pulled at the end after the roll was cut up. You can see how having an analyser, having it calibrated to your process, and an operator to know how to position the probe and set the channels was kind of important to the use of such a device if you have ever printed color.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What you said is the predecessor of the roller color photo printer. That is what the roll of paper is made for originally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, an optical printer was just one of these roller easel things with a fixed enlargement enlarger, basically, that printed the full negative frame. There was a lady in my home town who printed with one of these things, and she had an eye better the analyser. Of course she had been doing it full time for more than 10 years, so you would hope she had her process nailed down.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just cut down some 8" color paper. I did not want to test the "darkness" of my darkroom, so I cut it inside a Harrison change tent. I think I had adequate room, and just need to get used to it.

I fed the paper from the right side, on top of a table with soft top. The cutter is an very old Nikkor rotary trimmer, about 12x12 size. I remove a backstop from a Dahle cutter and tape it onto the cutting base. I did not know exactly where the emulsion side was and I fed the paper with emulsion side down. I think next time I'm going to do the emulsion side up. There was no emulsion scratches and no fingerprints. I think this is winter and we do not sweat much at all.

The size is 8x5 and I cut 20 sheets in no time. With the change tent, I can certainly cut down more, even during the day time. I was just eager to test the new paper.

I've not decided on what to do when I'm going to cut 8x10 size. I may use the same setup, or may get out of the tent and cut it with the larger cutter in open darkroom. Then I'll have to make sure the darkroom is light tight.

Roll papers are definitely cheaper than the sheet papers. The paper was almost free, costs little.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin