Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,636   Online: 1131

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I have 8 rolls of some old Kodak SO-somethingorother that makes slides from color negatives. If you shoot it in a camera you get very blue results.

You are to develop it with standard C-41 process.

I wonder if it's a motion picture print film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ECP is not processed in the C41 process.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    ECP is not processed in the C41 process.

PE
    Right, but he said it was a SO film. Ever hear of such a transparency print film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but I forget the designation. I believe that they were in the 411X product range, and all took C41 processing. They came in 35 mm and 4x5.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Why doesn't anyone who is willing to shoot a roll each all put the money on the table for their own roll, reaching the minimum order of 5? Would be an idea!

The passing around a single camera and using 2 frames each sounds cool as well I would be in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jm94 View Post
    Why doesn't anyone who is willing to shoot a roll each all put the money on the table for their own roll, reaching the minimum order of 5? Would be an idea!

The passing around a single camera and using 2 frames each sounds cool as well I would be in!
    For the first, because that's still $250 per roll, plus finding a roll, though the latter shouldn't be expensive with processing gone. More than I'm willing to pay just to shoot Kodachrome one last time.

Less than $10 per frame for 2-3 frames might be, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jm94 View Post

If you go back and reread the 96 posts before this one, I think you'll find there are already several willing—or who at this stage of the game say they are willing—to take the OP up on his potential offer. Together they seemed to account for perhaps 8 to maybe 12 rolls, depending on whether the idea of passing around shared Kodachrome cameras got organized.

Some wanted to use their last unexposed rolls from their freezers. Some wanted to do their first (and presumably last) roll. Some wanted the chance to process meaningful rolls that somehow missed the final Dwayne's deadline, and now sit exposed and orphaned in cold storage. One poster was even possibly willing to pay for 4 rolls himself.

I'm guessing that this trial balloon was floated precisely to gauge the potential size of this "market" and potential interest in this unique "service" that may at some point be available to offer? And while the trial balloon price is expensive, it's apparently not prohibitively expensive for everyone.

It's an awfully big world out there...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    Just throwing it out there would anyone here be willing to pay $260 dollars per roll for Colour Kodachrome processing with a minimum of 5 rolls per order and payment before processing?
    Steve, are you ready to process, or are you just gauging interest?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    If you go back and reread the 96 posts before this one, I think you'll find there are already several willing—or who at this stage of the game say they are willing—to take the OP up on his potential offer. Together they seemed to account for perhaps 8 to maybe 12 rolls, depending on whether the idea of passing around shared Kodachrome cameras got organized.

Some wanted to use their last unexposed rolls from their freezers. Some wanted to do their first (and presumably last) roll. Some wanted the chance to process meaningful rolls that somehow missed the final Dwayne's deadline, and now sit exposed and orphaned in cold storage. One poster was even possibly willing to pay for 4 rolls himself.

I'm guessing that this trial balloon was floated precisely to gauge the potential size of this "market" and potential interest in this unique "service" that may at some point be available to offer? And while the trial balloon price is expensive, it's apparently not prohibitively expensive for everyone.

It's an awfully big world out there...

Ken
    A lot of people that could afford it, look at the minimum price, $250. Now you could go out and buy 13 rolls (maybe more) of fresh E6 film and get them processed for the same money. If everybody who thought about a roll of Kodachrome, went out and bought, shot and processed 13 rolls of E6, we might be able to keep E6 from following K14 into the netherworld. The Kodachrome horse is dead, so lets just quit beating on it.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    A lot of people that could afford it, look at the minimum price, $250. Now you could go out and buy 13 rolls (maybe more) of fresh E6 film and get them processed for the same money. If everybody who thought about a roll of Kodachrome, went out and bought, shot and processed 13 rolls of E6, we might be able to keep E6 from following K14 into the netherworld. The Kodachrome horse is dead, so lets just quit beating on it.
    Please don't tell others what they can and can't do. Their decisions about what is of value to them are not your call to make.

What if someone out there had pictures of a loved one on a roll of undeveloped Kodachrome? And that person had passed unexpectedly? And during the crisis they missed the Dwayne's deadline? It wouldn't be your place to tell them to skip a possible second chance at processing that now precious final roll because you thought they were beating a dead horse. Your agenda may not be their agenda. That often happens in life.

And why are you trying to rain on the OPs parade? He's obviously gone to great lengths to research and implement a possible recovery option for those kinds of situations. He's generously shared some of his proof-of-concept results with those on APUG. And those preliminary results were good enough that there may be as many as 8-12 rolls who owners may be willing to pay the price. And he says only 5 rolls are required for a minimum run.

More fundamentally, if the OP thinks he may see a business opportunity as a result of his speculative R&D work, who are we to tell him he's beating a dead horse? That he has no right to test the market with an eye toward possibly providing a professional Kodachrome recovery service. No right to make a return on his investment. No right to make a little money. That's not our call to make. His agenda may not be our agenda. That often happens in life.

Ken

[Edit: Read this thread beginning on page 12 at post #116. Wouldn't it have been great if Bob Carnie could have told his customer that YES! there was one place left on Earth that could still process Kodachrome into color transparencies? Would you have told his customer to stop beating the dead Kodachrome horse? That processing her late father's last roll just wasn't important enough to you?]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-11-2012 at 06:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin