Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,534   Online: 1031

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    While I quite agree on matters like colour accuracy, there is the matter of (negative) display materials having much poorer dynamic range (than chromes) because they're reflective instead of transmissive.
    ECN (Vision film family) on ECP, the print film has a dynamic range about 2x over RA4 prints and about 30% greater than E6 films.

For technical reasons, E6 films achieve a Dmax of about 3.0 with the concomitant range while neg-pos makes a range with a Dmax of about 5.0 and if there were still a print film out there, a single view would knock your socks off. But then you see something like it in every motion picture you see.

Do not, as AgX says here, try to cross C41 neg with ECP nor ECN with some type of print film other than ECN. They are not compatible. A good quality scan of a negative is outstanding, but that is the topic for elsewhere.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    RA-4 transparency film? Tell me more. This might be a good alternative to E-6 by contact printing the negatives if E-6 is no longer available. Or just to get slides from negatives perhaps? Ron, can RA-4 transparency film be used for getting slides from negatives to project?
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektacolor Print film, (4111?) has not been made since about 2000. I have dozens of "slides" from negatives made this way though.

Sorry. Scanning is the best option.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    What about Kodak Professional Duraclear Digital Display material (http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../e119/e119.pdf) - is it still made? It looks like it's intended for lightjet printing or a film recorder then processed in RA-4 chemistry.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa has two clear transparency films in their range, one true RA-4 and one to be processed either in C-41 or RA-4.
    Ilford has one clear and one opaque transparency film for RA-4 in their assortment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C41 product would give better sharpness and grain.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    These clear RA4 films, can they be projected like a slide or are they intended for use only on backlit displays? I see B&H has Fujitrans & Fujiclear but the min quantities are impressive and they mostly say "optimised for digital" which makes me suspect serious crossover.

Slides on ECP would be lovely I'm sure but I don't see it for sale and I don't see an equivalent (other than Duraclear in 30"+ rolls!) for printing C41 instead of ECN.

Sure I can scan and I have some good prints from scans but the limitation there is again dynamic range of the final display compared to a chrome or what's in a neg. Our pro labs offer nothing except Endura, Crystal Archive and inkjet.
    Last edited by polyglot; 11-20-2012 at 10:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some RA4 materials are clear and some are translucent for display.

ECP slides can be bought for a price, but make sure that it is ECN to ECP or the contrast and gamut are off.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    So we are looking at the Agfa C-41 or ECP. The future of ECP is probably short due to the mass conversion of movie theaters to digital projection, which leaves us with E-6, Agfa C-41, or materials like the FujiClear film. A roll of the fujiclear would probably last photographers like us a very long time if we were to use it for contact prints of C-41 negatives. I wonder how well it would stand up to projection.

Wow this thread has gotten off-topic. We started out talking about future Kodachrome processing and now we're talking about how to get our slide fix if E-6 disappears (hey, I'm an optimist!). But that's okay this topic needs to be explored.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ME;

Look at what you wish. All Analog is in trouble. I cannot help nor can anyone except by large scale purchases.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin