Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,096   Online: 1065

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See his OP and several following expansions on his limits. Please see it in his own words. I did not book mark it. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I am not and will not process this film so people can simply indulge themselves by finding something to shoot just for the sake of using kodachrome. That's what Dwaynes 2011 cut off was for! The time and effort in processing kodachrome in colour by hand coupled by the fact that there is no profit margin in my costing of $260.00 a roll makes it simply not worth it.

I would only process on application if there was something historically significant left unprocessed on pre existing / pre exposed rolls of film. I would wish to discuss with a client before hand what is on the roll and see previous works of theirs before commencing colour Kodachrome development. I would also like to know the history of the films storage.

I don't mean to sound unfriendly. I was merely testing the waters in terms of processing costs. I was not implying that I am going to launch this as a commercial service for any Tom , Dick or Harry.
    Wow…this is completely different than what the basic idea of the initial post was about and even what I was lead to believe in several PM's with Mr. Frizza…..

In terms of what I was trying to do, this basically puts the notion to bed for now since my project is neither rolls left over or historical per se. Back in late 2010, I had just started to gain traction on an idea of re-making significant Old Masters paintings on Kodachrome with a very creative approach using somewhat elaborate Hollywood movie set arrangements with great lighting an even accurate costume design to boot. The people I was in contact with are some of the better ones in the industry so pinning them down let alone getting them to commit to this sort of thing last moment was next to impossible.

So needless to say, even though I ended up shooting and processing about 100 rolls of Kodachrome well past the December 30th deadline given by Dwayne's, time simply ran out before this idea could bear fruit…

This idea was the very first thing I thought of when Stephen wrote "Just throwing it out there would anyone here be willing to pay $260 dollars per roll for Colour Kodachrome processing with a minimum of 5 rolls per order and payment before processing?" and lets just say my wheels started turning at a high RPM…

Since the first post and initial PM's, phone calls have been made, emails sent and the idea of this maybe being possible getting more people than I excited about the notion of these gorgeous shots being created. My wife often travels for work so I usually opt to go with her on some of her trips. This Sunday we are to fly to LA. so I had two meetings set up with contacts at Disney / Burbank Studios to further explore this in person…

Well I just canceled them, will still travel with my wife and instead go see my sister, niece and nephew and forget about this whole thing, LOL!!!

While Mr. Frizza is still to be commended for his amazing effort, I would have appreciated a personal heads up on these new developments before I went through the trouble of reeling this idea back in.

The film will always stay in my freezer, good luck to all in going forward…
    Last edited by PKM-25; 11-30-2012 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    When ever Stephen is ready, I am ready with the money for 5 rolls and have a stellar project to shoot that I did not have time to wrangle before Dwayne's shut down, with over 60 rolls of the last batch of KR-64 in the freezer....time will tell if this really happens or not....

60 rolls of the film would take me in excess of 120 hours to process from start to finish. With 260 dollars being the cost of materials only and not my time The cost to me would be 3 -4 weeks of unpaid work in my lab schedule.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow…this is completely different than what the basic idea of the initial post was about and even what I was lead to believe in several PM's with Mr. Frizza…..

Since the first post and initial PM's, phone calls have been made, emails sent and the idea of this maybe being possible getting more people than I excited about the notion of these gorgeous shots being created. My wife often travels for work so I usually opt to go with her on some of her trips. This Sunday we are to fly to LA. so I had two meetings set up with contacts at Disney / Burbank Studios to further explore this in person…

Well I just canceled them, will still travel with my wife and instead go see my sister, niece and nephew and forget about this whole thing, LOL!!!

While Mr. Frizza is still to be commended for his amazing effort, I would have appreciated a personal heads up on these new developments before I went through the trouble of reeling this idea back in.

The film will always stay in my freezer, good luck to all in going forward…
    This is quite rude seeing we have spoken multiple times in private emails about this and I beleive I have made it very clear to you I was only testing the waters for interest in this service and how people reacted to the cost price of chemistry to do it.

Please see extracts from the private emails I personally sent you where I made it very clear if I am to do the process I would be selective about whom I processed for..

FIRST PRIVATE EMAIL TO YOU: 7th of November

"Thanks for your message, I have been doing various tests processing my own Kodachrome stocks though colour chemistry and as a pro lab owner I have recently been curious about the potential market for such a service. I do not own a K-lab machine and I know for a fact that the chemical process I run to produce a colour kodachrome is not compatible with a K-lab. I also wont be making the service available to the general public (if I make it available at all) Instead It will be upon application only.

The reason for this is because the length of time the process takes and the huge amount of work that is involved to get the final result. I don't want to waste my time on images that are rubbish. The cost of $260 dollars per roll isn't a figure that factors in my labor. Once all chemicals are sourced it will literally cost $258 US to process each roll so i just rounded it off to 260.

If someone had a K-Lab that could get proper volumes of film they would have a serious advantage over me in ability to process and their chemical costs would certainly be lower than my own.

I am still tinkering with the idea of bringing back this process for others, I will keep you up to date with anything involving this n a commercial front I do."

MY SECOND EMAIL TO YOU : 11th of November

"As I said in my last email, I merely posted on APUG to gauge expressions of interest. I am not certain I am going to offer this service at the current time or in the future. I am still tinkering with the idea."

.................................................. ...............................END OF EMAILS..............................

I would suggest before making phone calls,sending people emails and having meetings with Disney / Burbank Studios about doing a shoot on a material like Kodachorme it would be best to secure a processing arrangement with the only person currently doing it.

This being said I have been contacted by a gentleman who has been working on a long project about the Space Shuttle and I will endeavor to assist him in completing parts of the processing for this historical project all things permitting in 2013.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    35mm
    To be fair, the original post gave no indication that $260 was a costing for the chemicals only, or that there was any restriction on what films might be accepted. Obviously time and profit ought to have been costed into the equation to avoid misleading people.

Dan put an enormous amount of work into his projects and the free kodachromeproject.com website and forums, the latter gave many of us a lot of interest and benefit in the last couple of years of "official" Kodachrome. You can hardly criticise him for putting in the initial work with Disney, etc., obviously that would be the first part of assessing whether the whole shoot was possible and viable....what if processing had already been set up and then the project had to be pulled, simply through lack of proper preparation and planning?

Still, what do I know.....
    Last edited by railwayman3; 12-01-2012 at 08:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling..again!

Shooter
    35mm
    This being said I have been contacted by a gentleman who has been working on a long project about the Space Shuttle and I will endeavor to assist him in completing parts of the processing for this historical project all things permitting in 2013.
    Thats good that he contacted you, i got him to get in contact with you as he had'nt stumbled across this thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    PKM-25 . . . .

Regarding that project for the paintings recreation thing . . . How about shooting on 8x10" color neg? There would be fewer contrast and lighting struggles, and final images could go directly to RA4 paper. An analogue process from end to end with potentially gorgeous final quality and still available using US sourced materials, if that makes a difference to the sponsors. That way you get to do the project just before the end of the materials instead of just after . . .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Future Kodachrome Colour Developing

When ever Stephen is ready, I am ready with the money for 5 rolls and have a stellar project to shoot that I did not have time to wrangle before Dwayne's shut down, with over 60 rolls of the last batch of KR-64 in the freezer....time will tell if this really happens or not....
    When did you acquire 60 extra rolls? Was it after 2010?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    60 rolls of the film would take me in excess of 120 hours to process from start to finish. With 260 dollars being the cost of materials only and not my time The cost to me would be 3 -4 weeks of unpaid work in my lab schedule.
    Hi Stephen, I in no way gave indication that I would want to use all 60 rolls of film I have on hand only that I had them, that would be excessive given the obvious labor and costs involved. In terms of what you wrote in reply to my other post, I just wished you would have replied to my last PM with this new info so I would not have embarrassed my self with Burbank Studios like I did.....you never replied to my PM but instead posted on here after I last PM'd you...:-(

Like I said before, the idea has been shelved again for now...
    Maybe you will find a way to strike a balance, make it a more dependable and professional offering in the future and we can revisit this. So having said this, I truly admire what you are trying to do ( if I am even clear on this ) and wish you the best of luck in going forward.

As for my historical connection to the film, most on here know what that is and no new lab will ever change that...:-)
    Last edited by PKM-25; 12-01-2012 at 11:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    PKM-25 . . . .

Regarding that project for the paintings recreation thing . . . How about shooting on 8x10" color neg? There would be fewer contrast and lighting struggles, and final images could go directly to RA4 paper. An analogue process from end to end with potentially gorgeous final quality and still available using US sourced materials, if that makes a difference to the sponsors. That way you get to do the project just before the end of the materials instead of just after . . .
    While it might be possible to replicate the look, Kodachome had a special look to it that when everything came together in terms of lighting and nuance, it looked like an Old Master's painting.

So in a way, this was a Kodachrome only idea. I am ready to move on from it for good now given the tone of this topic...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin