Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,148   Online: 932

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They were left over, I paid for about 20 rolls of the last batch to shore up film needs once I went well beyond the deadline....

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    When did you acquire 60 extra rolls? Was it after 2010?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll contact him too, as a long time Shuttle fan, I would be willing to chip in some money to see him get those last reels souped.

Hopefully Stephen can help him and this thread will at least have some form of happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    I think Steve should seriously look at helping this poor person who is struggling to produce a film dedicated to the space shuttle, he shot it on kodachrome and he has a few undeveloped rolls left that never made it to dwaynes.
    His site is:
    http://shuttlelaunchfilm.com/

I should try and put Stephen in contact with him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an APUG policy not to post anything from PMs or E-Mails in public here.

I bring this up only to ask that the moderators NOT enforce that rule here. Please. The subject matter is so central to what is going on that it must be left up and not be deleted or altered. We need this to understand both the anguish of losing Kodachrome and the difficulty in processing it as well as the cost.

My best wishes to all concerned. I understand both sides of the story.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 12-01-2012 at 12:35 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spellling as usual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There is an APUG policy not to post anything from PMs or E-Mails in public here.

I bring this up only to ask that the moderators NOT enforce that rule here. Please. The subject matter is so central to what is going on that it must be left up and not be deleted or altered. We need this to understand bot the anguish of losing Kodachrome and the difficulty in processing it as well as the cost.

My best wishes to all concerned. I understand both sides of the story.

PE
    And normally I would have reported that too, but I agree 100% on this and feel for Stephen as he tries to sort through this now. I have liked the Shuttle Launch Film Facebook page, wrote to the owner that I want to support his goal, I might suggest some others do the same....it embodies the spirit of what The Kodachrome Project is about...

This gentleman has some 9 rolls of motion picuture stock and 37 rolls of still Kodachrome in 35mm, 120 and 126 to soup...it will be interesting to see how this plays out considering Stephen's apparent limitations of scale...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ... 37 rolls of still Kodachrome in 35mm, 120 and 126 to soup...

126 ????

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    126 ????
    Could be, Kodachrome 64 was available in 126 size (and 110).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    60 rolls of the film would take me in excess of 120 hours to process from start to finish. With 260 dollars being the cost of materials only and not my time The cost to me would be 3 -4 weeks of unpaid work in my lab schedule.
    May I ask dumb question number 18,446,744,073,709,551,616?

Why the heck did you post a price, where you were doing the lab work for free? First rule of any business, whether it's a real business or a thing on the side, pay yourself first. If a reasonable lab rate is $50/hr and it take 2¼ hours to do a roll, then you take the cost of materials, $260, plus the cost of lab time, $112.50 add on another $7.50 for sundries and you have $380, not $260. Hey why not make it an even $400....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the business advice I have been successfully running a completely analog pro lab for almost 8 years now, no easy feat in the current photographic climate. My first post was simply a question of a would any one pay $260 for the process with a minimum of five rolls...I NEVER SAID "I am launching this process and this is the cost" I was simply testing the waters to public reaction of the base cost of materials to do it.
    This being said if something of enough historical significance presents itself then yes I would be happy to share my time and knowledge for histories sake if the person applying could cover the costs.

While it is my own fault, Im starting to get quite sick of the direction this has gone in. I regret ever expressing how much at absolute minimum this process would cost to do as of 2012.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd blame this on part on the policy here (and also on a couple of other photo forums I'm on but NOT on any of the pilot forums I'm on, thus it seems weird to me) of not being able to edit your own post after a fairly brief period of time passes. Otherwise, once you saw how people were running off the end of the earth with it (and you are right, you didn't say you were ready to roll with offering this, just asking if anyone would pay that much) you could have simply edited the original, which at least would have stopped folks continuing to discover the thread and getting excited about it without reading far enough down to see the clarification.

Maybe a mod would agree to add your clarification to the original post?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the interest everyone- My project has literally been frozen for a year and suddenly I've got many new facebook likes- very cool.

So yes, a few years ago I began documenting the Space Shuttle launches on Kodachrome. As a filmmaker I fell in love with the idea that both the subject (the shuttle launches) and the medium (Kodachrome) were coming to an end after decades of fanfare, market superiority and cultural admiration. When I started, all the final launches were slated to end before Dwayne's final date- but that didn't work out.

Still, I figured there some geniuses out there might one day crack the code and that I should continue to document this great experience as I had started.

With my Nikons, some specialty cameras and my Super16 motion picture camera I shot 4 rolls of 100’ 16mm, 2 rolls of 50’ 16mm, 3 rolls of Super8, 34 rolls of 35mm, 2 rolls of 120, and 1 roll of 126 over the next three launches- one of which was inside Kennedy Space Center with the rest of the media folks- needless to say I was the only film camera there, let alone four film cameras and the Super16.

From the start, my effort has been to tell the story of the atmosphere and people who congregate in the name of science and exploration. Instead of a tailgate party for the Dallas Cowboys, it’s a huge tailgate party for science, which I loved.

Of course the big moment of the launch was covered in Super16mm, but the bulk of the photos (and some of my motion picture stock) is about the people who come to watch and what they do until that big moment happens.

The film was shot intending to be a combination of stills and moving pictures in a Ken Burns-style presentation (pans and fades of stills), no intereviews or dialogue, just the images and great music.

I have a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shuttl...56663554369586

I certainly hope we can bring these images out and celebrate the film and the Space Shuttle again.

Thank you all so much for the shared interests, it's very inspiring and I'm very eager to move forward with the community.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin