Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,148   Online: 1090

Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021222324252630 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'd blame this on part on the policy here...of not being able to edit your own post after a fairly brief period of time passes...
    It's an excellent policy, designed to avoid having replies look stupid and disjointed if someone goes back and changes things in the posts being replied to. The time limit should encourage thinking things out thoroughly before posting.

...you could have simply edited the original, which at least would have stopped folks continuing to discover the thread and getting excited about it without reading far enough down to see the clarification...
    In my opinion, posting ought not be allowed unless one is willing to check a box certifying that they have read the entire thread first.

...Maybe a mod would agree to add your clarification to the original post?
    I hope not; it would ruin the flow/history of this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to confess I am a little depressed about all of this...while the notion of what else is going on is a positive thing, I am left feeling kind of flat.

Both Jeff Jacobson and my self are still looking for publishers, Jeff is having a print auction soon so he might be able to self publish, I am just wanting to maybe put back even a little bit of the 60 grand I spent doing my project in the bank so maybe I can buy a home instead of renting with having a fine art darkroom crammed into a 66" x 71" storage closet in my 880 square foot apartment. I gave away a fair amount of film while on the road to those who could not afford it or find it anymore, found Jeff most of his KL200....Jeff is the photographer who started his project called "The Last Roll" from his bedside while recovering from Lymphoma...

I guess this pattern of emotional emptiness started a few hours ago when one of the people that I was supposed to meet with in LA called tonight to express her disbelief after reading this thread....
    It just sickens us for a host of reasons I don't want to even get into on here. Lets just say she felt very strongly about our goals as being historical too as there were parts of it I did not disclose that are still rather proprietary to it all in terms of who would be Aristotle, Boy in Blue or Pallas Athena....

I often have to bow out of these forums for a time when it gets to be too much...this is one of those times.

I just need to get the hell off of here and remind Jeff that we need to get our books out before, well....who the hell knows at this point. Whatever this all is, it seems to be some kind of invite only, maybe, I don't know, you are not good enough, not historical enough or not important enough gentlemen's club and I am pretty sure I want no part in it...

I think I will go pour my self a glass of Jack my wife likes to cook with.....I don't drink by the way.

Signing off for a few months, it will do me some good...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 12-02-2012 at 03:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Future Kodachrome Colour Developing

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I have to confess I am a little depressed about all of this...while the notion of what else is going on is a positive thing, I am left feeling kind of flat.

Both Jeff Jacobson and my self are still looking for publishers, Jeff is having a print auction soon so he might be able to self publish, I am just wanting to maybe put back even a little bit of the 60 grand I spent doing my project in the bank so maybe I can buy a home instead of renting with having a fine art darkroom crammed into a 66" x 71" storage closet in my 880 square foot apartment. I gave away a fair amount of film while on the road to those who could not afford it or find it anymore, found Jeff most of his KL200....Jeff is the photographer who started his project called "The Last Roll" from his bedside while recovering from Lymphoma...

I guess this pattern of emotional emptiness started a few hours ago when one of the people that I was supposed to meet with in LA called tonight to express her disbelief after reading this thread....
    It just sickens us for a host of reasons I don't want to even get into on here. Lets just say she felt very strongly about our goals as being historical too as there were parts of it I did not disclose that are still rather proprietary to it all in terms of who would be Aristotle, Boy in Blue or Pallas Athena....

I often have to bow out of these forums for a time when it gets to be too much...this is one of those times.

I just need to get the hell off of here and remind Jeff that we need to get our books out before, well....who the hell knows at this point. Whatever this all is, it seems to be some kind of invite only, maybe, I don't know, you are not good enough, not historical enough or not important enough gentlemen's club and I am pretty sure I want no part in it...

I think I will go pour my self a glass of Jack my wife likes to cook with.....I don't drink by the way.

Signing off for a few months, it will do me some good...
    More in response to others then to Dan, you have to remember they Dan spent like, I forget but probably more than 6 years shooting nothing but Kodachrome while working with Kodak and Dwayne's and documenting life and history etc. to say he isn't historical enough can be very hard to hear.

I agree that we need to just push forward and publish our books (mine too), I'm not anywhere near Dan's status, but I took a whole month and covered all of New England, Washington DC, Key West FL, Seattle WA, All over Colorado, Los Angeles, The Grand Canyon, and Kansas (around Dwayne's) which put me in 2 year of financial debt as I didn't have any help/funding and that I've JUST recovered from now. And I haven't even begun to get much printed, I have only been able to scan 30 images (that I payed someone else to do in high resolution, I've finally bought a scanner this month of my own to start scanning, I hope the epson is good enough at least for now....

The point is, a few of us have a lot more at stake than just "some photos we'd like developed" there are some VERY specific shots I missed that leave me feeling incomplete and I have 6 rolls of Kodachrome that I know is good that I COULD shoot with and get those images that would complete my work.

Also remember the film isn't being made anymore and it is getting older and older, and so the "good" film that is out there IS historically important because its very limited and will contain great and beautiful imagery because it will be cared for and carefully done and because of that BECOME significant historically.

So think about all that, before you cut us down, those who might note in your eyes "worthy" of doing it.

Please reconsider that maybe you as a lab will also become historically significant the way Dwayne's has because you were able to save the "lost images" of Kodachrome. But you won't do it with shuttle launches alone, and Dan of anyone here would be someone you should help get stuff processed as his embodied work of Kodachrome is already in the history books and more to come as its published...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PKM-25, If you are that emotionally and financially invested in this, then why don't you ask him to tell you his process so you can do it yourself. Or you could quit your crying and shoot a different film. Or you could come up with an original idea. http://www.joseffischnaller.com/, http://www.rainerelstermann.de/, http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/20...otographs.html
    Last edited by Greg Davis; 12-02-2012 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan;

If you can get the chemistry (even if it is just the couplers and color developing agents), I will be happy to teach you the entire Kodachrome process. It will probably take a dozen rolls of test film and a lot of trial and error. If Steve were willing to help in any way it would speed things up.

I will NOT do any processing of film beyond the test shots necessary for setup.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Im happy to share my knowledge in the same manner as photo engineer.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttlelaunchfilm View Post
    Thanks for the interest everyone- My project has literally been frozen for a year and suddenly I've got many new facebook likes- very cool.

So yes, a few years ago I began documenting the Space Shuttle launches on Kodachrome. As a filmmaker I fell in love with the idea that both the subject (the shuttle launches) and the medium (Kodachrome) were coming to an end after decades of fanfare, market superiority and cultural admiration. When I started, all the final launches were slated to end before Dwayne's final date- but that didn't work out.

Still, I figured there some geniuses out there might one day crack the code and that I should continue to document this great experience as I had started.

With my Nikons, some specialty cameras and my Super16 motion picture camera I shot 4 rolls of 100’ 16mm, 2 rolls of 50’ 16mm, 3 rolls of Super8, 34 rolls of 35mm, 2 rolls of 120, and 1 roll of 126 over the next three launches- one of which was inside Kennedy Space Center with the rest of the media folks- needless to say I was the only film camera there, let alone four film cameras and the Super16.

From the start, my effort has been to tell the story of the atmosphere and people who congregate in the name of science and exploration. Instead of a tailgate party for the Dallas Cowboys, it’s a huge tailgate party for science, which I loved.

Of course the big moment of the launch was covered in Super16mm, but the bulk of the photos (and some of my motion picture stock) is about the people who come to watch and what they do until that big moment happens.

The film was shot intending to be a combination of stills and moving pictures in a Ken Burns-style presentation (pans and fades of stills), no intereviews or dialogue, just the images and great music.

I have a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shuttl...56663554369586

I certainly hope we can bring these images out and celebrate the film and the Space Shuttle again.

Thank you all so much for the shared interests, it's very inspiring and I'm very eager to move forward with the community.
    What an awesome project. I sincerely hope you are able to get that film processed effectively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it comes to the point where processing is a possibility, I have a K-14 control strip that I'd be willing to loan anyone making a go of it.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    If it comes to the point where processing is a possibility, I have a K-14 control strip that I'd be willing to loan anyone making a go of it.
    ...and I have a brick of deep-frozen (-20/-25C) KM that I am willing to donate...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Steve, and thank you all.

Over to you Dan!

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin