Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,904   Online: 1197

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151920212223242526272829303135 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    I have the right to reply to this thread, having as I do a collection of 20,000 Kodachrome slides from 1968 to 1994. It's not as if it is alien to me.
    As Stephen has rightly pointed out in a later post, the process is dead on a cost-basis alone. I, along with anybody else here can see the beauty of Kodachrome slides more than 50 years since they were shot. But all that reminiscing isn't going to bring it back. Now, how about we embrace what we still have of film while that lasts? Or is that opportunity going to be wasted jockeying on keyboards? Sorry, but I've got photography to do.

Of course you have the right to reply to the thread, and to hold your own views, but surely not to tell people to "move on" when their interests and ideas don't happen to match your own.

You have photography to do...good, but it does not give you the right to expect that other people must share your enthusiasm, they may think that "jockeying on keyboards" interests them more, and why not?

Just because Kodachrome is "dead", in your opinion. does not mean that it's history and technical processing must no longer be discussed because you think it is a wasted opportunity. I have little interest in many subjects...for example, my wife has studied the history of fashion which is totally outside my interest, but I would not criticise. or dictate that Forums on that subject are a waste of time. I just don't read them.

P.S. What about the many "alternative processes" which have been studied and brought back from the "dead" to produce original and successful results? (Don't start, I am not saying that Kodachrome will be....but are there not toning processes for B&W based on similar principles to the color coupling used in Kodachrome?)

Shooter
    35mm
    Could you just imagine if the lab screwed up? (Talk about liablility!) - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Could you just imagine if the lab screwed up? (Talk about liablility!)...
    Undoubtedly, just like virtually all labs, it would agree to process the film only if its liability is limited to "an equivalent amount of the same film and processing" if it screwed up, not incidental and/or consequential damages. So many people have unusable (for color) Kodachrome around, the lab would have no problem finding some to purchase and supply as a replacement.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Of course you have the right to reply to the thread, and to hold your own views, but surely not to tell people to "move on" when their interests and ideas don't happen to match your own.
    Why not? In telling him what he can and cannot say, aren't you being hypocritical? That is his opinion, just like you are giving. You are telling him he can't say it simply because you don't agree with it. If you don't agree with it, you're perfectly welcome to say why, but I say let's let the moderators decide what can or cannot be said here. In this case, I doubt if they would have a problem with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Could you just imagine if the lab screwed up? (Talk about liablility!) - David Lyga
    It would have to be stated at the outset that the processing is essentially experimental, and no warranty is given for that reason other than return of money paid or credit, if the processing is faulty.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    It makes no sense from a business aspect because.

A, There is a finite supply of film,
    b, None of the film is fresh
    C chemistry is limited
    D, The labor in this process by hand is HUGE!!!
    E, The cost to process the film is ($260) this is not taking into account a fee for my time to do it.

Its not viable when there are so many other far more profitable processes that require far less effort.

These amongst other reasons is why this film and its process is dead.
    First of all, let me state quite clearly: I did not mean "you, Steve, have to do this, whether you want or not" with my previous statements. As you mentioned, the process is well documented through Kodak's patents, and as it just so happens, one of the inventors listed on this patent is a very helpful and active member here on APUG. As an engineer I frequently get confronted with "I have this idea and if you do all the work and bear all the risk you get 10% of the proceeds" plans that tend to go nowhere, so I fully understand your position.

What was new here, and you were the one to bring it up, was, that there appears to be a market of people willing to spend considerable dough on getting Kodachrome processed. For some people it's not so much about specific pictorial qualities of Kodachrome, it may well be about being among the few chosen ones to have one of these rolls processed now. People pay outrageous prices for original paintings of great masters whenever they are put up for auction, despite the fact that you can get very exact copies for very little in comparison. I wonder how much money could be raised if one were to get a handful of these Shuttle slides for own use after funding and thereby enabling development of the whole batch.

Steve, your lab may be fully loaded with exciting and profitable work, but too many times I've heard about labs shutting down due to lack of customers. You proved that Kodachrome can be done today, albeit with considerable effort and skill. I wonder whether this level of skill couldn't be found in at least one of these "we have soooooo few customers" labs.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    Why not? In telling him what he can and cannot say, aren't you being hypocritical? That is his opinion, just like you are giving. You are telling him he can't say it simply because you don't agree with it. If you don't agree with it, you're perfectly welcome to say why, but I say let's let the moderators decide what can or cannot be said here. In this case, I doubt if they would have a problem with it.
    Not at all....I just don't like being told to "move on" just because this person is reading a thread which doesn't interest him.

He says he "has photography to do". So do I....unfortunately most of my time right now is looking after my wife is recovering from major surgery which involved a seven hour operation. She will not be fully recovered until the New Year and at the moment I am neither able to get out to "do photography" or have enough free time to use the darkroom.

So my photography is currently restricted to time on this group and an occasional half-hour of digital printing on the computer. I will, of course, be asking the Priest for forgiveness of this sin on Sunday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    Why not? In telling him what he can and cannot say, aren't you being hypocritical?
    No.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Not at all....I just don't like being told to "move on" just because this person is reading a thread which doesn't interest him.
    I don’t recall him saying he wasn’t interested in this thread. Perhaps there is info that is useful to him, and perhaps that is why he reads it. I took his comment about moving on to be simply advice to those all those who persist in thinking Kodachrome may come back and to no one in particular. In telling him directly not to say that you are doing the same to him as you accuse him of. Not hypocritical?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that we are devolving into squabbles here and at this point the thread should be closed by some long suffering moderator.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin