Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,734   Online: 1131

Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 162021222324252627282930313236 ... LastLast
    RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree. We should move on. Oops.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the most viable option left to process kodachrome is if Kelvin Kittle's K-lab ever gets off the ground and suitable chemistry can be acquired for it.
    Havnt heard much from him latley, but he has been rather busy with renovations, but apparently he is building a special room just for the k-lab.
    If its possible to modify it to run 16mm film through it, then that may be the only chance for processing the shuttle film.

Either way, i want to see some serious efforts in keeping E6 alive for at least another decade.
    I dont see kodachrome ever coming back, unless kodak decided to reintroduce it as a boutique product.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    I don’t recall him saying he wasn’t interested in this thread. Perhaps there is info that is useful to him, and perhaps that is why he reads it. I took his comment about moving on to be simply advice to those all those who persist in thinking Kodachrome may come back and to no one in particular. In telling him directly not to say that you are doing the same to him as you accuse him of. Not hypocritical?
    Perhaps, in, say, 20-30 years, there will be similar posting saying "I took his comment about moving on to be simply advice to all those who persist in thinking that any analog photography may come back".

IMHO and being realistic, I would, sadly, not be at all surprised if that were the situation, other than either complicated and time-consuming DIY work (perhaps based on some of the old "alternative processes", if there's anyone who hasn't long-since "moved on" from even mentioning them? ), or expensive bespoke products, both beyond the pocket and interest of most users.

Kodachrome won't come back, of course, (I never thought it would) but the demise of one film will prove to be the least of our problems in the medium term.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 08-15-2013 at 04:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    I think the most viable option left to process kodachrome is if Kelvin Kittle's K-lab ever gets off the ground and suitable chemistry can be acquired for it.
    Havnt heard much from him latley, but he has been rather busy with renovations, but apparently he is building a special room just for the k-lab.
    If its possible to modify it to run 16mm film through it, then that may be the only chance for processing the shuttle film.

Either way, i want to see some serious efforts in keeping E6 alive for at least another decade.

I dont see kodachrome ever coming back, unless kodak decided to reintroduce it as a boutique product.
    It would be good hear from Kelvin Kittle at some point, even if it's only that the idea is a no-go, but it's a very long time since his last posting on the Kodachrome Forum. It must have been a couple of years ago that he mentioned that he was busy with the renovations and mentioned the proposed special room, with SFAIK no further news since.

At the time he posted pictures of the K-lab being brought back on a trailer from the scrap-yard, where it had been standing outside, and it looked in a very sad state. Given that it's precision equipment, no supplies of spares or chemicals and needing software from 15-20 years ago.......

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    It would be good hear from Kelvin Kittle at some point, even if it's only that the idea is a no-go, but it's a very long time since his last posting on the Kodachrome Forum. It must have been a couple of years ago that he mentioned that he was busy with the renovations and mentioned the proposed special room, with SFAIK no further news since.

At the time he posted pictures of the K-lab being brought back on a trailer from the scrap-yard, where it had been standing outside, and it looked in a very sad state. Given that it's precision equipment, no supplies of spares or chemicals and needing software from 15-20 years ago.......
    yes quite true, he posted last year i think, and he apologised for his absence on the forum, we will just be patient i guess, but i think it will still be a huge effort to get running again, either way, its good someone is looking after it if the need ever arised for its use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    yes quite true, he posted last year i think, and he apologised for his absence on the forum, we will just be patient i guess, but i think it will still be a huge effort to get running again, either way, its good someone is looking after it if the need ever arised for its use.
    Agreed...at the very least it should be properly preserved even if it can never be used again, ideally in a museum. IIRC, Dwaynes asked various museums if they wanted their machine, but, with no interest, it was scrapped.

(Many things only get preserved because of the interest, money and work of private individuals....numerous cars, steam engines, buses, even buildings, come to mind.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IF this and IF that. Gee guys, why don't one of you do that work.

So far, in my basement lab I have recreated an Azo/Lupex type paper in 3 grades, a Kodabromide/Brovira type paper in 2 grades, and an ortho ISO 40 camera emulsion. I have also mad a single color magenta Ilford/Ciba material.

I don't see people rushing to buy the book or come to the workshops in great number. Yes, the books sell and yes the workshops go, but there is so much more that can be taught and written up. But, all people do is talk.

My boss in the Emulsion Research Div. at EK had a poster that said "When all is said and done, more is said than done". Get together, scrape up the $$, and get yourselves going!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    IF this and IF that. Gee guys, why don't one of you do that work.

So far, in my basement lab I have recreated an Azo/Lupex type paper in 3 grades, a Kodabromide/Brovira type paper in 2 grades, and an ortho ISO 40 camera emulsion. I have also mad a single color magenta Ilford/Ciba material.

I don't see people rushing to buy the book or come to the workshops in great number. Yes, the books sell and yes the workshops go, but there is so much more that can be taught and written up. But, all people do is talk.

My boss in the Emulsion Research Div. at EK had a poster that said "When all is said and done, more is said than done". Get together, scrape up the $$, and get yourselves going!

PE
    IF I were retired rather than running my own business, IF had unlimited time, IF I had the money to travel 8,000 miles, IF I wasn't nursing my wife after major surgery, IF I had the space to build a basement lab, IF I had no other interests or commitments, I would love to be at your workshops and to recreate whatever I could. Unfortunately RL doesn't always co-operate with what one wishes or hopes for.

In the meantime, I read, enjoy and learn what I can from here and other sources, and hope that, in "moving on" from "dead" processes (as we are told we must do in this very thread), all the accumulated knowledge, information and experience is built upon and not lost for ever. If that happens, we shall have little choice but to "move on" to the digital world, and sooner than we might think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Except for the sick wife, for which you have my sympathy (BTDT), Steve Frizza fits all of your other conditionals. So, once your wife is better, you will be in a good situation to do something. But, OTOH, there are a lot of others out there.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think anyone who is even slightly realistic believes that Kodachrome will ever be back. Even if there were a big film renaissance and Kodak-whatever-sells-film in the future got a lot of demand for it and wanted to do so, re-creating the processing and infrastructure now that the last Kodachrome lab has ditched their machine almost certainly still would not be cost effective. Clearly there are still some photos out there of historical interest (the shuttle shots) that people would like to process, and there's film that people have, frozen if the chance is to be even tiny versus nill, that they'd like to be able to use, but the latter isn't that important. I think I still have a roll or two I wasn't able to shoot up in time, but I didn't freeze it because I knew there was no realistic hope of ever using it for color. Oh sure it CAN be shot and processed as black and white, but why on earth would you do that? The only reason to me would be if it was already shot, and the photos were of such interest that getting them in black and white was better than not getting them at all. With all the excellent (and some mediocre) black and white films on the market, why on earth would one deliberately shoot Kodachrome and develop as black and white now? The only reason would be just for the "fun" of doing it, and with the backing removal it doesn't sound like much fun to me.

I do think about Kodachrome from time to time though when the subject of the decline of E6 and eventually C41 comes up. This film was created by a couple of guys, obviously very knowledgeable but with only early 1930s technology and resources, and they processed it in a bathtub. On the surface it sounds like something similar would be easier for a small right-sized film manufacturer to do than a modern chromogenic film. But in the 1930s there was huge pent up demand and a major, HUGE in fact, company to support it and create the processing infrastructure for the demanding process. So I suppose there's no chance whatsoever of anything even LIKE Kodachrome being produced commercially ever again. That's sad, but seems to me the inescapable conclusion, and we've had four years to come to terms with that.

I agree that if you want to preserve color transparency film as long as possible the best approach is to shoot lots and lots of E6.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin