Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,627   Online: 882

Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 222627282930313233343536373842 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I wonder if some one started a thread on the dodo would it reach almost 300 posts. They are both gone, kaput, fine, never to return! It was a nice film but it did have its faults.

From recent articles in scientific journals, the dodo has a better chance of coming back than Kodachrome.
    At least with the Dodo, once you get it up and running, it could get to the point of self sustaining.

Kodachrome, you are talking about a fixed inventory that will decrease rapidly to zero. Kodak quit making Kodachrome significantly before Dwayne's quit processing it. Which says, at least to me, that restarting processing alone would not be enough to get Kodak to make the film again.

Seems like everyone would like to see Kodachrome processing back, but nobody really wants to *bring* Kodachrome processing back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Seems like everyone would like to see Kodachrome processing back...
    Maybe the data is trying to say something and the right listener has yet to come along?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    We should instead put efforts into convincing some top 50 world fortunes about the cause.
    Too bad none of those billionaires aren't here. Some of them should be able to spare a few million $. I guess that a million for some of them is just like a hundred bucks for many of us.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I vote against closing any thread. Just unsubscribe from it if you dislike the content. We should never artificially end conversation - allow it to naturally dissipate.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've no real opinion on reviving Kodachrome processing, but do on whether to close the thread and open a new one.

There is nothing that would prevent a new thread from going down the same road, save for extreme moderation (that may not be worth the effort), and that would work in this thread as well.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then change it, keep the focus on the grassroots part and not the part when someone asks how the lab down under is doing with Kodachrome and promptly gets their head bit off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...Seems like everyone would like to see Kodachrome processing back...
    Incorrect premise. I and others have absolutely no interest in seeing Kodachrome processing come back. With no film being produced and no prospect of it ever again being manufactured, attempting to re-introduce Kodachrome processing would be entrepreneurial suicide. Why expend bandwidth and effort trying to convince one of the ever-decreasing number of operating color labs to undertake something that can only harm its success?

To reiterate, I have found no color film that motivates me to do serious work with it since reliably processed Kodachrome 25 became unavailable. Nonetheless, facing reality and moving on is the appropriate response to this situation. Pick a path and proceed. Don't pick on Stephen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sal,

I am not trying to pick on David, or anyone else. If that is how my post seemed, then I sincerely apologize to all.

I do not mean to criticize anyone who wants it back, it was more of an observation that there seems to not be anyone trying to bring it back.

Would I like to see it back? Yes. I would like to see all the choices and formats we used to have, back.

I miss being able to go in a store and have stacks of film to choose from.

In the meantime, I enjoy every trip out shooting. And, in light of the current situation with film, I think I appreciate each trip a little more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Seems like everyone would like to see Kodachrome processing back, but nobody really wants to *bring* Kodachrome processing back.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Its more like no one has any real motivation to bring it back.
    Perhaps there are other people like Steve working silently on it, but well wait and see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    Its more like no one has any real motivation to bring it back.
    Perhaps there are other people like Steve working silently on it, but well wait and see.
    I would not describe it as lack of motivation but practical business considerations. The film market is shrining and will continue to shrink. Bringing back Kodachrome presents a different problem than bringing back a conventional film. Both the film and processing centers must be delivered at the same time. Not an easy feat even in a world where film sales were stable. It is the classic Jurassic Park problem. You cannot bring back a large number of carnivorous animals without providing a far larger number of food animals at the same time.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-19-2013 at 10:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin