Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,419   Online: 901
      
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 232728293031323334353637383943 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 493
  1. #321
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,468
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    Perhaps there are other people like Steve working silently on it, but we'll wait and see.
    Wasn't there supposed to be someone buying up all of the leftover Kodachrome on eBay?

    I wonder why someone might do that...



    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  2. #322

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I would not describe it as lack of motivation but practical business considerations. The film market is shrining and will continue to shrink. Bringing back Kodachrome presents a different problem than bringing back a conventional film. Both the film and processing centers must be delivered at the same time. Not an easy feat even in a world where film sales were stable. It is the classic Jurassic Park problem. You cannot bring back a large number of carnivorous animals without providing a far larger number of food animals at the same time.
    Yes quite true, as far as motivation goes, its more the fact that i havnt seen anyone apart from Steve Frizza who actually has gone through such through research on the chemistry and find sources of the chemicals, let alone put it to use and actually process the film.

    It certainly is not a viable business option unless there was a way to make it cheap and practical enough to do a large one off run of the film.

  3. #323
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,473
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Incorrect premise. I and others have absolutely no interest in seeing Kodachrome processing come back. With no film being produced and no prospect of it ever again being manufactured, attempting to re-introduce Kodachrome processing would be entrepreneurial suicide. Why expend bandwidth and effort trying to convince one of the ever-decreasing number of operating color labs to undertake something that can only harm its success?

    To reiterate, I have found no color film that motivates me to do serious work with it since reliably processed Kodachrome 25 became unavailable. Nonetheless, facing reality and moving on is the appropriate response to this situation. Pick a path and proceed. Don't pick on Stephen.
    What about an E6 film that mimics the color profile of Kodachrome? Since it wasn't a natural palate anyway. In fact, I bet a company like Lomo would be interested, they like off color palates.


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #324

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,689
    I'd recommend just saving up any money you might otherwise spend on a hypothetical revival of Kodachrome processing and use it to invest
    in stock in some company trying to develop a time-travel machine. That way you could just go back half a century or so and not only get your
    Kodachrome rolls processed, but even buy Kodachrome sheet film!

  5. #325
    Prest_400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What about an E6 film that mimics the color profile of Kodachrome? Since it wasn't a natural palate anyway. In fact, I bet a company like Lomo would be interested, they like off color palates.

    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was talked about on the mythical "Kodachrome is discontinued" thread. I remember PE mentioning something about modifying cyan dye or couplers.
    Problem is that "normal" E6 is doing fairly but any more special kind of E6 (High Speed, Tungsten, Muted colour) is gone. Again, perhaps if Kodak (or other company) would be able to produce smaller quanitites with viability it could be probable again.

    I've got a half off topic question: Kodachrome was coated in building 38? I recall PE mentioning that they kept a master roll for a long time and (perhaps) it was coated last in 2006.

    I realised again how invaluable PE's participation is for the knowledge of processes et al film in the forum.

  6. #326
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What about an E6 film that mimics the color profile of Kodachrome? Since it wasn't a natural palate anyway. In fact, I bet a company like Lomo would be interested, they like off color palates.
    When I eat ripe blueberries I get an off-color palate. Off-color tongue, too.

    I always did like Kodachrome's palette, though. Used to be, the others didn't come close to its accuracy, especially K25. Agfachrome was nicest, I thought, rather like K64.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-21-2013 at 05:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  7. #327
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,008
    Kodachrome certainly had its own look, and for many subjects I liked it. Caucasian skin tones did tend toward too white and chalk-like, however. This varied from pleasing, in the case where I have some shots of folks with rather rosy skin tone that was muted a bit by it, to downright ghastly/ghostly in a couple of cases among my slides, particularly with electronic flash. For general outdoor non-portrait subjects though I liked it a lot.

    No matter, it's gone. I suppose there might be a PS/LR/Gimp plug in or the like that might simulate it heretically.

  8. #328
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,214
    Images
    65
    Roger, what you say is due to the "design faults" that made Kodachrome so "wonderful"! Yeah, it was the cyan dye that was the culprit, making some flesh tones chalky. But hey, if that is what you want, you got it in Kodachrome. And yes, an E6 film could be modified to mimic Kodahcrome. Just mess with the cyan coupler/dye, and jack up the contrast until it is just about unacceptable! Of course, that costs R&D dollars, and to spend them, you have to have a market! No market? Wow, no modified E6 film.

    Thanks for the kind comment. Yes, Kodachrome was coated on a regular schedule just like all Kodak products. Then it was stored in a "coffin" and taken out for slitting and chopping on a regular schedule. However, that coating time for Kodachrome became less and less often until it nearly vanished, and film was expiring on dealers shelves. That is why it had to go.

    So, while Kodachrome was still alive, how many of you bought an E6 film. If you did, you contributed to the death of Kodachrome.

    PE

  9. #329

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What about an E6 film that mimics the color profile of Kodachrome?...
    Astia was the closest E-6 film to Kodachrome I ever found, but it wasn't that close. Besides, in my opinion, E-6 is a "dead process walking," Ferrania notwithstanding. Those who enjoy color film would be advised to embrace C-41, which will probably last a few years longer. Or just make the leap directly to digital. Or, like I have, concentrate on black and white film/paper.

  10. #330

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Wasn't there supposed to be someone buying up all of the leftover Kodachrome on eBay?

    I wonder why someone might do that...



    Ken
    The 9 rolls i sold probably went to him!



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin