Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,418   Online: 776

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 242829303132333435363738394044 ... LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Astia was the closest E-6 film to Kodachrome I ever found, but it wasn't that close. Besides, in my opinion, E-6 is a "dead process walking," Ferrania notwithstanding. Those who enjoy color film would be advised to embrace C-41, which will probably last a few years longer. Or just make the leap directly to digital. Or, like I have, concentrate on black and white film/paper.
    Or just shoot E6 instead to help readjust the bias? Digital isn't an option. Sorry I like non linear mediums that can compress input. Black white or color it doesn't matter.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Astia was the closest E-6 film to Kodachrome I ever found, but it wasn't that close. Besides, in my opinion, E-6 is a "dead process walking," Ferrania notwithstanding. Those who enjoy color film would be advised to embrace C-41, which will probably last a few years longer. Or just make the leap directly to digital. Or, like I have, concentrate on black and white film/paper.

Screw C41!
    I dont want to shoot any crappy negative films!
    Thats why i went digital in the first place! Since i never shot E6 beforehand, i didnt know alot about it. I love E6, and i can only thank the demise of Kodachrome for that, as annoyed as i am that i never shot any kodachrome, at least ive got an interest back again in film photography, and i love it!
    The photos im getting with E6 are far superior to anything ive ever shot in C41.
    Would be pretty cool though if it was possible to produce a reversal film that could be processed in C41 chemistry with the same results as E6, i assume this would require some very special dye couplers.

Anyway, its good to see the uptake of Lomography, since this may one day be the only thing left eventually that keeps colour film alive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In fact, a film that could give E6 quality images in a C41 process is entirely possible. The problem is that all reversal processes give worse images than C41 NEGATIVE films. If you don't get the same quality, then you are doing something wrong somewhere. After all, the motion picture industry looked at negative and positive systems and chose negative. It was much better.

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In fact, a film that could give E6 quality images in a C41 process is entirely possible. The problem is that all reversal processes give worse images than C41 NEGATIVE films. If you don't get the same quality, then you are doing something wrong somewhere. After all, the motion picture industry looked at negative and positive systems and chose negative. It was much better.

PE
    PE, are you sure there wasn't some process economy considered here?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color negative film, due to masking, supports much better color quality when printed than reversal film. Also, due to its lower contrast it has better dynamic range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clayne, there was no process economy considered. E6 and Kodachrome both wowed editors because they gave a visible image, but no one knew how to view a negative and so in magazine work and other similar types of work, reversal held sway but with real production, C41 or ECN (Eastman Color Negative) dominated and it was due to QUALITY. As RPC says, there were the factors that dominated the industries that mattered.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I know is, back in the 70's and 80's any prints of mine from 35mm color negative film looked grainier than prints from slides, especially in shadows.

Modern color negative is pretty awesome though, no doubt. But I still just love looking at transparencies.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    I still love the look of transparencies too.
    I always thought the main advantage of negative film was for making prints, duplicates etc.

I would be quite interested though in trying negative motion picture film in a film camera, has anyone experimented using vision3 stocks in a film camera?
    I guess processing it would be a pain, but ECN2 films have far finer grain than C41 dont they?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several people have shot ECN films in still cameras, and have posted results on apug. I recommend the search function.

Shooter
    35mm
    but he knew it was happening and was doing this space shuttle launch thing and hasn't finished it in time, yet expects someone to process it anyway...

STONENYC-

Just fyi- when I started this project and began shooting the launches in Kodachrome, the shuttle program was scheduled to be finished before Dwayne's was to end development. I have three launches covered in Kodachrome. But because of delays well out of my hands, the launches were delayed and so three launches of film is in the freezer.

I had an idea I loved, it seemed interesting and fascinating so I moved forward. I hope this isn't offensive to people.

I'm not a chemist so I hope it isn't arrogant to hope that someone who is a chemist might be able to process the film that I cannot.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin