Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,667   Online: 683

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, i will trust your recollections of whether slides or negs/prints were more expensive at the time, and likely the $12.99 processing included fits what I was thinking it cost (and in line with what was in the article i posted). At any rate, (whether it was cheaper than prints) that was not cheap back then -- $12.99 plus tax would be close to $40 today. Being a poor student, I did stop shooting 'chromes for financial reasons, but perhaps that was at some point later on in the 90's when all the grocery stores had photolabs and were churning out the prints for peanuts. I consider those the dark days of my film life -- not helped by the fact that i ignored my OM-2 for a decade and used this crappy P&S with a bad zoom and a really bad autofocus -- I was young and dumb, but that is no excuse!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodachrome processing mailer was $20 mailed to VisionGraphics in Sydney when it was done here in Australia. This cost was included in the roll purchase (around $30). I considered it one of the most expensive, but not the particularly most beautiful films to expose and process. At the time it was preferred over E6 emulsions, which I had not quite 'warmed to'. The period referred to is from 1978 to 1993, around which time my last rolls of Kodachrome were exposed and sent off and a shift made to Velvia and Provia.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    +1. I would be willing to part with a few bucks to get a handful of frames. Of course, we'd need to make sure we have good K-Chrome, a good camera, and most importantly, a reliable financial intermediary.
    +1 for me too, I'll be in if this happens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EdoNork View Post
    The question is: CAN you develop a roll of KODAKCHROME at that price if I put the money on the table?
    My train of though really. Not that I am interested personally. But the questions that came to my mind were:

- is the Kodachrome processing really feasible at this time?
    - how many rolls would need to be ordered for the work to start?

At that price the interest is probably limited to particular situations. We "poor" people can never imagine how many people are there who just don't know how to spend their money. During a staying abroad many years ago I personally knew a person who would certainly be glad to have somebody buy for them a Kodachrome roll on the internet, develop it for $250, by a slide projector and organize a projection while boosting that the entire operation costed him $1000 and considering it a very funny thing to say (laughing very loudly, that is: there's no limit to the vulgarity of certain "new rich").

BUT if the process is feasible, the "first adopter" will slightly make it more affordable for the subsequent ones.

The problem with the production of Kodachrome film remains.

I think I shot one or two rolls of Kodachrome in my life, so it's more of an academic interest.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    127 Format
    I would pay the price for 1 roll.

Perhaps 5 people could create a single order?

I would love to photograph the Pasadena New Year's Rose Parade on Kodachrome.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Better films out there for photographing roses with accurate colour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, one guy told me that Kodachrome made a garbage dump look nice. It had extremely vivid colors.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, one guy told me that Kodachrome made a garbage dump look nice. It had extremely vivid colors.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Future Kodachrome Colour Developing

PE
    I always heard that was an objective.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mannes and Godowsky had custom coatings and custom synthesized chemicals made by EK even when they lived in NYC. When they moved to Rochester, their labs expanded and they got more chemicals and coatings. Steve here has had to replicate all of this with a fixed film base to work with and some rough formulas in patents that represent an amalgam of K14 and the previous process, as the product we knew was still in development.

PE
    I think, it would be easier to reinvent Kodachrome, then to make a process for existing stocks of Kodachrome. The only way to make a K14 process, would be if Kodak were to release the chemical formulas to the public domain or sell them to the new producer. The issue becomes making film stocks in small enough quantities that it could be all sold before it expired. Also to make the chemicals in small enough quantities that it was used up, before it expired.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin