Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,348   Online: 996

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jobo, Lift or no Lift?

I have two Jobo CPE2, one with lift, one without lift. I tried both to process C-41 and so far I like the one without lift. For me, I see the pros and cons of the lift:

1. Lift is simple if your darkroom is set up properly. But for me, the sink/drain is on the right hand side. So I have to collect the chemicals into bottles.
    2. Lift would have more cross-contamination. So it is great for one-shot processing. Since the chemicals go through the lift and also the pipe, chemicals get diluted rather faster.
    3. I see some leak out of the discharge pipe when I add chemicals to the tank through the lift. I do not think there is anything wrong with my lift, just the design of the lift. The leak is small, but just annoying to see the developer and bleach on my countertop.
    4. It is such a hassle in the rinse stage. To lift, you'll have to turn off the motor, move the lift and dump the water. Without the lift, I can keep the motor running, then just remove the tank and dump the water. I ended up doing the rinse every minute, instead of 30 seconds, which is not ideal.
    5. I feel I have more control without the lift. If I see anything not right, I can just uncouple the tank from the magnet. But for lift, you'll have to shut off the motor. Removing the tank is not that fast.

What do you guys think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, Jobo CPA2 manual said to not shut the motor off when using lift. Turn the motor on at beginning of processing and only turn it off when you are done. Is it different for CPE2?

I agree with the other comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So you lift the lift with the motor still running? Would that damage the gears? No problem with magnet spindle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, it won't damage the gears, they're designed for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the manual for CPP2, but most of the content is for regular operation without the lift. I'll read it again to see if the motor should be on when you remove the lift.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a CPE2 with lift and I use it very often for the last 3 years (more than 100 running circles), after been advised by the local retailer I never stopped the motor and I never had any problem. Some "grag -grug" noises sometimes during engagement are natural and harmless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a CPA-2 with the motor set for reversing motion. You learn to time the lift so that you engage and disengage the coupling during the brief pause as the motor reverses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I removed the lift from my CPE2+. I was never comfortable with the extra motor drag and the squeaks the plastic made while lifting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My CPE2+ is on the left side of my sink, so I put an extension hose on the drain pipe. This lets me dump to waste, or to a bottle as needed. If the drain is flooding when you pour in a chemical, you are pouring just a little too fast. Any process that is subject to serious contamination usually includes a rinse step. That should be cleaning your lift piping,

On the other hand, if you prefer the magnet base, go for it.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a silly question, how do you remove the tank away from the lift? The manual says, to hold the end of tank and push the tank upward and forward. But since we use the lower connection with 15xx and 2xxx tanks, the middle nipple blocks the tanks. So what is the best way to safely remove the tank from the lift?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin