Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,841   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

An alternative to Provia 400x?

Hello

Provia 400x's price is currently very high, and at least here in Brazil, developing slide film is 3 times more expensive than negatives...

Can anyone suggest an alternative which also has vivid, strong colors similar to Provia 400x?

Thanks,
    Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are several slide films with vivid colors, but if you want 400 speed, then Provia 400X is all there is.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could try the Rollei Digibase CR200, pushed 1 stop, but I've heard it's rather grainy. I have a couple rolls in my fridge waiting to try out. Here in the US you can get it from Freestyle or B&H, not sure about availability in Brazil.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even at box speed I found the CR200 to be pretty grainy. It's a kind of attractive film in its color rendition, but very different from Provia 400X.

I've seen good results from pushing Provia 100F to 400, but I haven't done it myself. The samples I found in a quick search were all in medium format, so I don't know how bad the grain gets in 35mm.

OP, since you mentioned the cost of developing slides as part of the problem, are you considering looking at color negative films too?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Provia 100 pushed to EI200. Or even 320.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the replies, guys. ntenny, yes... I guess I didn't ask the right question... I am actually looking for color negative film with similar characteristics compared to Provia 400x, as the slide development price is becoming prohibitive. And ISO 400 would be ideal (do I ask too much? )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want a neg film why not use Fuji Pro 400H ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you want a neg film why not use Fuji Pro 400H ?
    I've been reading about it, but after the comparison at http://www.twinlenslife.com/2010/12/...light-new.html I'm more inclined to try Portra 400...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrenth View Post
    I've been reading about it, but after the comparison at http://www.twinlenslife.com/2010/12/...light-new.html I'm more inclined to try Portra 400...
    I.M.O the colour balance of Fuji 400H is closer to that of Fuji 400X than Kodak Portra 400, which is what I thought you were after.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I.M.O the colour balance of Fuji 400H is closer to that of Fuji 400X than Kodak Portra 400, which is what I thought you were after.
    It is what I'm after. It's just that they look pretty similar in those examples, with Portra being more flexible. But maybe those examples are not good to show the color balance differences between them. I'll keep looking for more samples. Thanks for the suggestion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin