Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,665   Online: 952

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see your point, but distributors are driven off the camshaft, so the camshaft has to be timed correctly first. And these days there is no distributor. But, who knows, maybe that is its origin.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    +1. However, I think that it's going to be more than a single decade. What will happen is that there will be the film archive, and then there will essentially be nothing else. Like that silicone disc sent into space, the image won't exist without actually being an image. The oldest images are made with pigment on a cave wall, down deep, protected from the elements. But with digital, it barely exists, just as much as a spark exists.

The only reliable evidence will come from stuff like Vivian Maier and people like her, wandering out and photographing. But of course the next problem comes with actually storing the negatives. What then? That's always a problem. Such is life.
    I think that what is most likely to happen is this. In 2112 your great grand children will find a bunch of 10cm shiny discs, the printing on it long faded away, and nobody having used a CD medium in over 50 years they will toss it away. Another box will have some B&W negatives in it maybe a few slides, they will see that it looks something like a picture, they will not throw it away, but be interested in seeing if there is a way to retrieve it. Funny thing about current technology, the Wally World prints made using a machine like a Fuji Fronteer may long outlast the data itself.....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Or maybe it's because it's used to drive the distributor... and when we adjust the points, it is called adjusting the timing.
    Wow, that steps back a day or two. I haven't had to adjust points in over two decades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Wow, that steps back a day or two. I haven't had to adjust points in over two decades.
    You could attempt it, but it would be a pointless exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Oh shoot, now I get it...

The last car I had with points and distributor... was British.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    It only takes one match
    I was counting the frames that could be destroyed in one mistake: 4x5 - maybe 6... 120 - maybe 12... 35mm maybe 36. Digital... several years.

Then I realized a match... could take out any archive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my mechanical days it was called a metal timing "chain" not a rubber belt as the newer ones have

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And some cars had timing gears instead. I've always disliked timing belts. Anything that can cause so much damage after so few miles-yuck. Talk about pointless.
    When GM came out with the Northstar V8, which they said would need only oil changes for 100,000 miles, I noticed they used timing chains.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    In my mechanical days it was called a metal timing "chain" not a rubber belt as the newer ones have
    Chain is "sporty".
    Belts are quieter and are normally installed in normal cars as far as I know.
    Chains are far more common in motorbike engines and probably in "sporty" engines.
    Gear train is another "sporty" option. It would be too expensive and too noisy for a normal city car as far as I can remember.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Chain is "sporty".
    Belts are quieter and are normally installed in normal cars as far as I know.
    Chains are far more common in motorbike engines and probably in "sporty" engines.
    Gear train is another "sporty" option. It would be too expensive and too noisy for a normal city car as far as I can remember.
    The gear train is noisy in high revving engines. Low revving isn't bad, like in old Volvos.
    I know they say belts are quieter, but I hear belts when I don't hear chains, especially the Hy-Vo or "silent" type chains. Belts are usually under a thin plastic cover, and I can usually hear their high-pitched whine. Not really loud, but definitely there. Standard type chains are lower pitched, more of a buzzing sound.
    Another advantage of chains is they are narrower, allowing the engine to be a little shorter. But I like them mainly because they are reliable and long-lasting.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin