Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,410   Online: 1066

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

One Reason Why Film Rules

Hahahahaha!!!
    If you want to annoy a Lotus fan you tell them it's an acronym....Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious....
    Having said that I'd love to own an original Elite with the Coventry Climax motor....or even an early Elan.

I too went fully digital but then realised that if I wanted something important to stay I should go back to film.
    So snapshots and web pics and the like are on a point and shoot (albeit a rather nice one in the shape of an X10...) and the real shots I want forever are on a solid medium.
    Just as an exposed frame undeveloped is only a latent image, it does not exist in reality but only in potential, so is a digital image. And just like an undeveloped film it shares the inherent instability of a latent image.
    So I shoot my good stuff on film then I scan it so I can email/cheap prints for family/etc.
    But I've always got my originals...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    I once asked him whether the engine was sourced from Briggs or from Tecumseh; he was not amused.
    Of course he wasn't! Everybody knows it's a Kohler.
    Last edited by lxdude; 11-13-2012 at 04:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree, negatives are a physical object and short of a disaster can't be destroyed (although they do happen as we've seen recently.) One thing I do is I have an on-line backup service for my main machine so all my data is backed up offsite to servers designed and managed for that purpose.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasLangGenius View Post
    In the meantime, I will go only into a fully digital means of color photography kicking and screaming if E6 (and later, C41, but I really would be hesitant to adapt it, due to the greater instability of the color) goes extinct, grudgingly shooting digital (with a lot of B&W film).
    Do you mean C-41 colour negative film is less stable than E-6 slide film?
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Of course he wasn't! Everybody knows it's a Kohler.
    A hit! A palpable hit! Zwounds! Egad!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    in analogy to a painter I think film black and white n darkroom the only palette that I convenience n love to work with, lost the feel in modern palette
    quiet-light.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    Hahahahaha!!!
    If you want to annoy a Lotus fan you tell them it's an acronym....Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious....
    Having said that I'd love to own an original Elite with the Coventry Climax motor....or even an early Elan.

I too went fully digital but then realised that if I wanted something important to stay I should go back to film.
    So snapshots and web pics and the like are on a point and shoot (albeit a rather nice one in the shape of an X10...) and the real shots I want forever are on a solid medium.
    Just as an exposed frame undeveloped is only a latent image, it does not exist in reality but only in potential, so is a digital image. And just like an undeveloped film it shares the inherent instability of a latent image.
    So I shoot my good stuff on film then I scan it so I can email/cheap prints for family/etc.
    But I've always got my originals...
    Yes! But your latent image is only under threat from the ravages of Time and Physics and the Cosmos. That digital image must also deal with the onslaught of various corporate interests. No very good record against them exists.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It depends how you see it. You can't expect to shoot any paid gigs with film nowadays....unless your film photography (large film format I assume) is something unique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use film and scan all my negs and put the files on my mac and burn them onto disks.I keep my 30 plus years worth of negatives in my home, but as back up,keep the disks at my parents' house just in case anything disastrous happens. As for film being liable to fire, floods and theft, well so are DVDs and hard drives, but I know my negs won't corrupt in front of my eyes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
    It depends how you see it. You can't expect to shoot any paid gigs with film nowadays....unless your film photography (large film format I assume) is something unique.
    Not true. I shoot commercial on film semi regular, particularly food.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin