Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,320   Online: 1176

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    <*yawn*>
    Being paid five figures is all well and good, but I suspect they're just splashing cash rather than thoroughly checking portfolio work, especially since you have not shot a wedding in 20 years. So you think it is easy to jump back in and jump right out and snap!, it's delivered? The truth is that professional work is a grind (film or digital) and does not always pay well, as you seem to be bragging about.
    Ummm, they know my work well because I am really well known and connected where I live. I have also known the parents of this bride for 8 years, they know my work from other areas, like the wedding I shot for the editorial side of New York Times last year which was in black and white film by the way. I can "jump back in" because I am not the hired digital gun which they do have but rather the artist who is being paid to do it the way I want to Poi.

I don't get to do everything on film, this week's NYT assignment on an architect had to be done on 101010 because of a variety of things...but man, it is almost never a grind, it is a great life.

Look, I don't come on here to brag, cause a stir but more to inspire people to do their thing and not give a floating fart what anyone else says or does. Who CARES what the shrinking general market does? That is not what dreams are made of...

"You miss 100% of the shots you do not take." Wayne Gretsky....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 11-30-2012 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Exactly, and that market is all but vanishing sir, so why is it that when ever the so called "market" is discussed at all on the net, it instantly drops to the lowest demographic in terms of both earning power and creative output? This baffles me...

But most importantly in terms of this discussion, photography in general is undergoing sweeping changes from top to bottom, so in my opinion you can't even use a broad based approach anymore to describing what is really going on, it is just far too varied when attaching a label to it.

Even if one pro in the whole world is using film in their work, then film is being used in paid work, period.

I know the market in general because I am frequently in many discussions with people doing photography works. We often talk about the market. The money side of photography. I personally have been doing spec work on cycling race photography for 3 years. Local races. Is a miracle I could even make some money from my photography but in general sports photography does not pay unless you work for agencies and doing large commercial works. And wedding photography is one market EVERYBODY is trying to get into to make some money with their photography. Sorry to say but the reasons why the photography industry it is what it is right now because of the digital revolution. It is getting easier for most people to take photos. With practice, you can even produce pro results with a digital camera. And most people don't believe in paying for photos nowadays. Or most newcomers believe in shooting for free in order to gain recognitions and hopefully getting paid gig referrals in the future. LOL. Yes, I know the market. I am also the products of this revolution. I am getting into film right now after years of shooting digital. Is a nice change of pace. I don't hold any romantic view on film photography. It is just a different format, that's all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatev's...

I am with LX and JBrunner on this one, I don't understand blanket statements and blanket thinking, I wear a beanie if my head is cold...:-)

Shooter
    35mm
    I hate the word RULES. I like film but hate the word RULES.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I hate the word RULES. I like film but hate the word RULES.
    Well then let me re-phrase it.
    Film is Superior.
    I bet this will start a new arguement.

All I was trying to say in my OP was that I never lost a film image. However even with well above average effort I lost a lot of digital images. Poof they were gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
    I am referring to the general market. Not the top of the food chain.
    You should have said that before. Thanks for the clarification. Your earlier statements make a little more sense now. It's hard for anyone to make money in the "general market" these days, film or digital.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-01-2012 at 02:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
    I know the market in general because I am frequently in many discussions with people doing photography works. We often talk about the market. The money side of photography. I personally have been doing spec work on cycling race photography for 3 years. Local races. Is a miracle I could even make some money from my photography but in general sports photography does not pay unless you work for agencies and doing large commercial works. And wedding photography is one market EVERYBODY is trying to get into to make some money with their photography. Sorry to say but the reasons why the photography industry it is what it is right now because of the digital revolution. It is getting easier for most people to take photos. With practice, you can even produce pro results with a digital camera. And most people don't believe in paying for photos nowadays. Or most newcomers believe in shooting for free in order to gain recognitions and hopefully getting paid gig referrals in the future. LOL. Yes, I know the market. I am also the products of this revolution. I am getting into film right now after years of shooting digital. Is a nice change of pace. I don't hold any romantic view on film photography. It is just a different format, that's all.
    Please realize this is constructive. If you ever want to actually make money with photography you must move away from spec work and 1k weddings. Those are not really the professional market. I see now where you are coming from.

Shooter
    35mm
    The fact is that these days using film in itself is rather the exception than the norm.
    The case may be that in the wedding photography sector the work produced in film is percentually* higher than in general photography. Maybe film is used in 3% of general photography and 5% of wedding photography.

I read somewhere an article written by a wedding photographer who had switched back to film. His main reason was that the post-processing work in a digital wedding shot can be a long task and it takes away a lot of time. This wedding photographer started again to make the work in colour negative, bring it to a pro lab, have the work back well printed, and live happily. His reasoning was that the film and lab cost was very convenient if compared to the labour saved.
    This probably boils down to the fact that if the wedding is shot on film the client does expect some tenths of beautiful prints and not some hundreds of post-processed photographs delivered on a CD.

You mileage may vary. I am not a wedding photographer. Last wedding I remember was in December 2003 and there were a photographer, an assistant, a couple Hasselblads (series V) many film backs and at least a couple of torch flash involved. But that was 2003.

* How do you bloody say "percentually" in English without having the spell checker scream?
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Please realize this is constructive. If you ever want to actually make money with photography you must move away from spec work and 1k weddings. Those are not really the professional market. I see now where you are coming from.

I agree. It is often easier said than done....that's why I am not planning to do much spec works next year. Maybe a handful of bike races, instead of a full season of 35+ races.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    You should have said that before. Thanks for the clarification. Your earlier statements make a little more sense now. It's hard for anyone to make money in the "general market" these days, film or digital.
    Especially since the GWCs give it away on the internet or give there work to newspapers and television networks just for bragging rights.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin