Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,679   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How Bad If a Roll of Color Paper is Exposed to Light?

A friend of mine received a roll of Fuji PIII color paper. But the seal is broken and he is afraid that the roll was already exposed to room light.

So I just wonder how bad is it if that happened. The roll was never used and the exposure time could be short.

Would the entire roll fogged and ruined? Or it happens only at the edge since the roll is still very tight? I think if the exposure is very brief and the paper was very tight, light should not go in and most of the paper should be still good.

It is amazing that there is no other protection other than the single brown/black bag....

I remember PIII is good for portrait and wedding?

Shooter
    35mm
    Only way to know is by testing some of the paper....but, if tightly rolled and only exposed for a short time, any fogging may well be only at the edges (particularly if it's a wide roll). Worth trying before you decide to throw it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is 8" roll. Not going to throw out, but may need to leave some margin if there is any fogging.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    So I just wonder how bad is it if that happened. The roll was never used and the exposure time could be short.
    The roll is probably fine except at the edges. But, keep in mind that even 1/2 second of exposure is waaaayyy too much.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But what if this is a 10 second exposure, how much would the light eat into the paper, other than a colored edge? The edge could be just 1/8".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only way to tell if it is fogged is to cut off a strip and process it. Guessing just doesn't work.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If flashed the damage should not hit more than the first two feet of the paper, although the edges of whole rolls I have used are yellow tinged from buying them removed from photo machines and packed in two well wrapped garbage bags when I bought them for $5 each. Still a good deal for about 200' per roll.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably. I'll cut it tonight or tomorrow to see how it looks like.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It be a good idea to get to like 5x7 prints.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen plenty of 'em over the years; if it was opened long enough for someone to see the edge, then yep, it's all edge-fogged. The only thing that varies is how far in (from the edge) the fog goes in. Generally it's relatively slight, but will almost certainly prevent use as 8" paper. Additionally, the outer wraps of paper will be fogged. It could be as much as 10 to 20 ft of the outer wrap (depending on size of roll).

Hopefully your first test will show it to be unfogged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin