Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How Do You Tell If Color Paper is Fogged?

How Do You Tell If Color Paper is Fogged? Color shift and low contrast? Any difference between Kodak and Fuji on this?

How about the paper is too old?
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    White light turns Kodak colour paper very red with a small light leak, amazing how little it takes reflecting thru the fill pipe on a beseler drum.

No personal experience what old age does to RA4 paper, but I remember reading here that the whites aren't anymore, more yellowish.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How old is considered old? More than 10 years? Or shorter, like 5 years? I think most of the paper is stored in room temperature, not frozen.
    It is also amazing the most of the papers do not have expiration date on.

For comparison, some of the Kodak BW papers have light sensitive materials in the paper. When the pager is old, it turns into grey by itself. Not sure if any color papers behave like that.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some b&w paper incorporate developers that accelerate the fog in the paper, all wet process papers are light sensitive.

Edit: some process chemical vapours will fog paper as well, so be careful.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had some original Kodak Polycontrast that is still good after 35 years. But some much newer Polycontrast III is flogged like no tomorrow, even totally sealed.

So for the color paper, if the printed paper has white borders and no strange line or abnormal color, then it is safe to say that it is not fogged or too old?
    A photo amateur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That pretty much sums it up, the best test is a print of a colour checker card. If you have close matches on the colours you are good to go.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If there are white borders and no visible effects, then do you care? It might have lost a little of the Dmin and newer papers certainly have a brighter Dmin, but the real question is whether it meets your requirements - even if the paper is fresh it may not, or vice-versa.

You could do an A/B comparison of a print against some fresh paper and see if you're happy that the quality is close enough. Note though that different papers have (deliberately) different contrasts; Portra Endura will be lower contrast than Supra Endura or Crystal Archive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, this is the dilemma I'm facing. This paper (P III) was made about 4-5 years ago. It came still sealed, along with Super C, same age. The Super C gives very good results, but the P III is very flat and colors are dull no matter what color balance I change. There is no way I can compare it with the current paper since the new paper (P) was re-designed.

The test prints are all clean with white borders. It does not show that the paper is fogged. But the low contrast and dull color make me think the paper has aged (age-fogged). I just do not know if 4-5 year paper can be aged that bad if stored in normal room condition.

I'll probably put aside the paper I can't get it work and spend more time on the "good" papers.
    A photo amateur

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since it doesn't look like you want it to, don't use it! Use the Super C instead if that's what you like.

You might find another subject that calls for the flatter look later, or maybe not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try adding 10ml/L of hydrogen peroxide solution (the stuff you can buy in the drug store) to the developer. It should increase contrast, but it will also raise base fog and may require shorter exposures. Don't get mad at me if it doesn't work! But I have increased contrast of RA4 papers successfully this way in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin