Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 680

Shooter
    35mm

Storing negatives

Earlier tonight, I developed my first roll of film earlier tonight "Success! ", and I was wondering, since I do not have sleeves to store my neg's in just yet, what is a good way to store them till i get a pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I cut into strips and stored in plain white envelopes. I don't know that I'd recommend that, though, as it's easy to scratch the film. Once I wised up that they would do it with scanning, I'd take them in to the local lab to have them scanned and sleeved.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I cut into strips and stored in plain white envelopes. I don't know that I'd recommend that, though, as it's easy to scratch the film. Once I wised up that they would do it with scanning, I'd take them in to the local lab to have them scanned and sleeved.
    I have the same dilemma tonight! I processed my first 4x5's today. For the moment I have put them in separate (new) sandwich zip lock bags until I get some sleeves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can just get a sheet of plain printer paper and fold it along the wide side. Envelope is find if you are sure that moisture is not a problem. You do not want the glue to get on the film.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of these solutions will work for the short-term (which is actually a rather long time). Just make sure that evertyhing is dry first, and they are not stored compressed under pressure or in an environment where humidity may get high.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, make sure they are COMPLETELY dry. Feeling dry to touch isn't dry enough. Otherwise, any attempt to put it in sleeves or envelope will end up marking the delicate emulsion surface.

If you already have sleeves on order, you can just leave it in dry and dust free environment. It won't hurt anything. I've done that for a week or more for one reason or another with mine. You can also let it roll back into a losely wound roll, then put it in a zip loc bag. I've done that too.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curiously, what do people think is a sufficient drying time for film? At least 24 hours? Longer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A shameless plug for one of our truly great sponsors:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/356100...es?cat_id=2308
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/889051...ck?cat_id=2308

[Hint, hint, hint]
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zackesch View Post
    Earlier tonight, I developed my first roll of film earlier tonight "Success! ", and I was wondering, since I do not have sleeves to store my neg's in just yet, what is a good way to store them till i get a pack.
    Go to the dollar store and pick up a roll of parchment paper, cut into pieces about 3 times the width of your film and two frames wider then your film, put the film at one side and fold the top over, now fold the ends in, and fold it over again. Crease the paper so that it stays in place. Put in a cool, dark, dry place and your film can safely stay in there for more then your lifetime and be fine. If you need to label then use one of those markers intended for CD's which are acid free.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Curiously, what do people think is a sufficient drying time for film? At least 24 hours? Longer?

I usually let my film dry overnight before handling them.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin