Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,972   Online: 907

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why Some Paper Makers Do Not Print Expiration Date?

Well, some of the old Kodak and most of the Fuji, even Ilford, do not have expiration dates on packaging of their papers. How do you know they are new or old?
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are date codes on all papers.
    If you give us an idea of what paper and the code on the package we may be able to help with how old the paper is.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    Well, some of the old Kodak and most of the Fuji, even Ilford, do not have expiration dates on packaging of their papers. How do you know they are new or old?
    Most paper is very slow something in the neighbourhood of ISO <5 so while film can expire in 2-3 years, for paper it's more then 10 years. If you went into the store and saw paper that expires in 2025, you would probably not believe it's correct. Most companies put an emulsion number on the box which includes a date code, if you call the companies customer service line or email them and give them the emulsion number, they can tell you, if it's old paper. Other hints, they usually update labels once in a while, so if you see an old style label, it's probably old paper. What I did, back when I had my DR up and running, I would buy a 100 sheet box of paper, split it into 25 sheet packages, one would go in the paper safe, the rest were put in light proof bags, then wrapped in foil, that was put in a plastic bag with a label, and dropped into the freezer. That was 1982 - I bet if I had one of those packages now, it would still be good.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not pretending to the absolute truth but from my limited experience with expired paper I avoid buying expired variable contrast papers. Fixed-grade papers (Ilfospeed, Brovira) hold up pretty well and are generally usable, variable grade is much worse.
    Ilfospeed for example just goes a bit yellowish with the age, without fog. Which is much more acceptable for than Kodak Polymax of the same age which develops nasty uneven blotches. No fog, just develops unevenly no matter what. Agfa MCP goes just bad with even base fog.
    Probably it has something to do with developing agents included in the emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Werra. Ilfospeed just doesn't go bad. Agfa papers fog as soon as the expiry date is on. Kodak has uneven blotches.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It depends on whether your talking about fiber, b/w rc or color. Color is the most sensitive to change - unrefrigerated ra4 starts to show change in dmin and subtle shift in highlights in as little as 6-10 months. All kodak ra-4 paper has expiry dates printed right on the label. Fuji uses date codes.

Non developer incorporated b/w fiber and azo tend to age very well, showing little to no change after decades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do the Fuji date codes work?
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can some kind fellows tell me the dates of the Fuji color papers below:

Type P III em no. 548-013 Matte 2068 07426153 or 2205050329 (inside)
    Super Type C em no. 139-012 Matte 0043 07586213
    Super Type C em. no. 152-015 07591154

Thanks.
    A photo amateur

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin