Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,718   Posts: 1,483,115   Online: 1084

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Studies that look at people and their habits have linked vegetarian diets with a decreased risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and colon cancer.]

Not entirely true; individual/familial predisposition to cancer, hypertension etc., is a major trigger, not solely what is consumed. Randomised studies often do not have control references in them unless over a very large population sample, and often biased with ethnicity factors. Besides which, all things in moderation.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm not gonna bother going thru the whole damn thread, but anyone who handles color chemistry without gloves and good ventilation is a fool. I know a couple of commercial lab owners who can't
    even walk into their own building due to sensitization; and one needed multiple lung surgeries. It seems that "artistes" have the same mentality as chain smokers and think it's cool to take known
    risks. I've sure seen my share of them ruin their health over the years. I've been very cautious, but
    despite that, just from cumulative very small amts of exposure, now have to do my color processing outdoors. I load the drum in the dark, but the processor itself is on a movable cart which I push outside in suitable weather. There are reasons MSDS sheets exist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew, call me a fool then. Back when I was about 12 and started color processing, you could not easily get any sort of protective gloves, and where could a 12 year old get a ventilator for the darkroom (really the fruit cellar)? We could not get this type of stuff even in my later teens.

When in a hurry, I still can do some items without gloves, and I never use a mask.

All color chemistry has become safer over the years. No more dichromate, ferricyanide, formalin, t-BAB, well I could go on.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I started color processing in my mid-teens and the only time I had any problems was during the RX chemistry days at Kodak when I had some dermatitis issues on my hands; the company doctors thought it was probably the CD-6 and not the Cohex. (Of course, I never had such problems when I started working on digital projects. ;- )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And yet, the doctors cleared CD6. Just goes to show you.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about bw developers? Are they still skin sensitizers? If so, much less?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Plenty of people have gotten dermatitis from metol. Plain ole stop bath can get to your lungs, esp if
    you are diluting it down grom glacial acetic without good ventilation. I work in an industry where everyone used to "tough it" with respect to chemicals - lots of them aren't around any more at my age! No excuse in this day and day to plead ignorance or not have a box of disposable gloves around. And digital - well, in mfg of course. Silicon Valley has a gigantic toxic groundwater problem
    right now. But in printing use, yeah ... enough exposure to glycol fumes and you can indeed get
    sensitized. Inkjet ink is fulla them. And I wouldn't make a habit of drying big inkjet prints in an unventilated room. They're steadily being phased even out of housepaints. Not an ingredient to panic
    about by any means. Eating potato chips every day is probably more hazardous. But yeah, I know
    folks who have gotten seriously sensitized to low levels of glycols year after year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think allergic reactions that make you aware of issues is a good thing. What I'm really afraid of are cumulative toxins that aren't excreted which show up as cancer or other diseases later. I have 2 photo professors that died at a young age. It's rumored that both have died from years of chemical exposure. One died from ALS and another died from brain cancer. I don't live in fear, but I'm not foolish with chemicals either.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm alergic to my ex-wife... and she gave me dermatitis somewhere. I won't touch the stuff anymore. That reaction was quite caustic... to my brain, I mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope you recovered from your dermatitis. Anyway, it's a good to avoid toxic people and toxic chemicals.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin