Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,502   Posts: 1,645,110   Online: 791

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I started color processing in my mid-teens and the only time I had any problems was during the RX chemistry days at Kodak when I had some dermatitis issues on my hands; the company doctors thought it was probably the CD-6 and not the Cohex. (Of course, I never had such problems when I started working on digital projects. ;- )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And yet, the doctors cleared CD6. Just goes to show you.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about bw developers? Are they still skin sensitizers? If so, much less?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Plenty of people have gotten dermatitis from metol. Plain ole stop bath can get to your lungs, esp if
    you are diluting it down grom glacial acetic without good ventilation. I work in an industry where everyone used to "tough it" with respect to chemicals - lots of them aren't around any more at my age! No excuse in this day and day to plead ignorance or not have a box of disposable gloves around. And digital - well, in mfg of course. Silicon Valley has a gigantic toxic groundwater problem
    right now. But in printing use, yeah ... enough exposure to glycol fumes and you can indeed get
    sensitized. Inkjet ink is fulla them. And I wouldn't make a habit of drying big inkjet prints in an unventilated room. They're steadily being phased even out of housepaints. Not an ingredient to panic
    about by any means. Eating potato chips every day is probably more hazardous. But yeah, I know
    folks who have gotten seriously sensitized to low levels of glycols year after year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think allergic reactions that make you aware of issues is a good thing. What I'm really afraid of are cumulative toxins that aren't excreted which show up as cancer or other diseases later. I have 2 photo professors that died at a young age. It's rumored that both have died from years of chemical exposure. One died from ALS and another died from brain cancer. I don't live in fear, but I'm not foolish with chemicals either.
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm alergic to my ex-wife... and she gave me dermatitis somewhere. I won't touch the stuff anymore. That reaction was quite caustic... to my brain, I mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope you recovered from your dermatitis. Anyway, it's a good to avoid toxic people and toxic chemicals.
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's part of the problem ... things which are officially nontoxic can become sensitizers which are
    potentially very serious, even leading to potentially fatal anaphylactic shock. I see this esp with
    people who work with epoxy and polyester resins (if they actually outlive the carcinogens, that is!).
    The other big problem is that all these things are hypothetically tested EPA or FDA or whatever
    individually, and obviously not in all the jillions of ways they can potentially interact. So downwind
    from our refineries in this area the same cities are getting residential water from rivers flowing thru
    pesticide-laden farmlands, and the cumulative effect per cancer rates is significantly in excess of
    what the isolated ingredient hazard would seem to be. Plain lung irritation can be another issue. I
    always hate to color print if there are common colds going around. No matter how careful I am,
    I'm just way more susceptible if my lungs are a little irritated, whether from a bit of color bleach,
    or from some neighbor illegally burning salvaged lumber in their fireplace. I must be doing something
    right, cause I haven't taken a sick day from work in over three years, though I've had a few minor
    colds. (will keep my fingers crossed)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Hope you recovered from your dermatitis. Anyway, it's a good to avoid toxic people and toxic chemicals.
    I just never let things develop past a certain point anymore.

From age 13 up through my late 30's I often had my bare hands in various chemistry. Even after 20 years or so my cuticles never recovered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What else can cause severe allergies?

Antistat rags in the dryer, deodorants, brighteners and scents in laundry detergents, latex gloves, and common household molds and fungi. Of course there is dust mite dust, skin flakes and the grand total for common dermatological tests number 60. And this is just for things around the house!

I would not worry about most of the photographic chemicals when faced with hundreds of irritants.

Oh, and the photo companies eliminated formalin from coatings and process solutions so we are only exposed to it wen we buy a new shirt or new furniture. Formalin is used in glues, paints and sizing materials that give us permanent press shirts.

PE

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin