Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,561   Posts: 1,573,310   Online: 1017

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I would have posted something similar, but recently I got spanked by one of the distaff APUG members.
    I'm not embarrassed to admit that I enjoy a good spanking now and then. No harsh chemicals involved though... and nitrile gloves are always a good idea for safety. Protect yourself from bad stuff... and always wash thoroughly.

Seriously, there are surely things we don't know yet about many chemicals that are seemingly relatively safe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I would have posted something similar, but recently I got spanked by one of the distaff APUG members.
    I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't so much the post Sirius, but rather the frquent repetition.

And maybe the frequent repeated reference to a "younger" model.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is my home color killing me? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    PE, I think my problem was made much worse when I sepia toned about thirty 16x20 prints when I worked for the AF back in the early 90's. I couldn't wear gloves because the prints were so slippery. It was the old rotten egg stuff. It took a very long time and I did it on my own time in my own back yard. My hands swelled to what seemed like twice their size and they were numb for days. After that they cracked and bled for awhile. My cuticles have never been the same.

BTW, these were copies of historic photos and publications to display at the local HQ. I used 4x5 with various films and processing techniques to produce decent quality reproductions. Many of these would have been a challenge for some people to make decent copies of. What pisses me of to this day is how they drooled over the color snapshots done by a hack showing the (then) current locations of the copied images. He just pointed and clicked on medium format color and they paid a local lab for prints. The reaction to the B&W was, "meh". They didn't have a clue regarding skill level of either task nor the time and effort nor the pain-in-the-neck... or hands.

We all have similar stories though.

Anyway, I do think the extended time in sepia toner is what caused most of the damage to my hands.
    I had an ironically similar story, was in an art show with another B&W photographer, and I was showing my Kodachrome, and his big tout over me is that he had hand developed everything, (both had used a lab to print the images) yet being Kodachrome I couldn't say the same thing and people "meh"ed my work because I hadn't put in the work "by hand" like the other photographer. I tried explaining why Kodachrome had to be done by a specialized lab and how much more difficult it is to shot then B&W but no one really cared. Sad really... Ah well... Learning experience...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't so much the post Sirius, but rather the frquent repetition.

And maybe the frequent repeated reference to a "younger" model.
    And why would "younger" model bother the distaff? Couldn't they get a "younger" model?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gosh, Ron ... two of the biggest color lab owners in this metropolitan area were put out of business,
    not because it wasn't profitable back then, but because they had gotten so sensitized to color chemsitry they couldn't even walk into their own labs anymore. One of them would instantly break out in hives. And a third lab owner had to avoid any section of his lab doing RA4. These reactions were just like the amine sensitization epoxy workers develop. I know one guy who boasted how the stuff was harmless because it hadn't done a thing to him in over twenty years of mfg. Now he can't
    even TOUCH an old baked enamel desk (allegedly totally inert) without anaphylactic shock. Lot of
    color chemistry contains amines too. I'm just waiting till someone in the commercial inkjet crowd comes down with sensitivity to glycols. It happens in the paint industry. Might take quite awhile,
    but it will happen. I bought a new ultralight backpacking tent two years ago and knew it would have
    an excess of phalates, so aired it out well two weeks in advance. But then I got caught in snowstorms every day, so spent a fair amt of time in it. The fumes had largely outgassed, but my
    hands had rash all over them, and anywhere else skin had made contact. This summer it wasn't so
    bad, but I was reallly careful about skin contact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew;

Reaction to any chemical runs from zero to severe. The point at which one can notice a reaction is the point at which one can say they have an allergy! In my experience, using photographic chemicals daily for over 30 years, and working with thousands of people who did the same, we saw a very very tiny fraction of people who had any noticeable reaction at all. Very tiny.

In fact, most allergies that we heard of came from the home. Hair dyes were at the top IIRC, and Formalin next from new shirts and furniture. A person would be fine at work with formalin stabilizer but would become sensitized after contact with a new shirt, or after sleeping in a new bed. The formalin there did the trick after years of contact with the same chemical at work. But again, I stress that this was a very tiny minority.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As someone respected for your knowledge, Ron, I think you're response to very well documented
    hazards is a bit reckless. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean you will continue to do so,
    or that someone else will have the same luck. The fact that all sorts of household things have pretty
    bad things outgassing from them doesn't exempt the darkroom from common safety concerns. Entire
    cities around here are beginning to ban plywood containing formaldehyde. Plasticizers are everywhere, but are esp noxious in some Chinese imports. But your argument would seem to be,
    since the child is going to be poisoned chewing on the lead paint on the Chinese toy, why worry about blasting ant spray around the house. I've knows WAY more than my fair share of people,
    including a lot of wannabee artistes, who got careless and are now either terribly sick or are simply
    no more. I know of entire factories I complained to about certain chemical abuses a couple decades
    ago where every single employee is now dead, prematurely from cancer. None of this is going to
    scare me from color printing, much less black and white, but it does justify routine common sense
    procedure to protect my skin, eyes, and lungs.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is my home color killing me? lol

Can't we all agree its safer to wear expensive chemical eliminating breather masks and chemical resistant gloves than not, but that its not always realistic and that we take our chances knowing its so?

Stop arguing about it, if you want to be safe don't dip your hands in chemicals... If you want to take the risk, that's not my fault.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew, I never said anything near what you are suggesting. I did say that allergic reactions to common (and darkroom) irritants are in the minority among the people that I know. The majority are not having allergic reactions to anything. AAMOF, I am somewhat allergic to pollen in the spring, but not to photographic chemistry of any sort. So, I said that reactions vary.

I myself wear rubber gloves, safety glasses and a lab coat when in the darkroom. I've said that before and I'll say it again. That's because you probably missed the fact that I have said - "WHY TAKE CHANCES". After all, I wear a set belt in my car too!

PE

Shooter
    35mm

You don't want to know.

I worked in several photofinishing lab in the '70s and '80s, and spent 25 years in a motion picture laboratory. I witnessed a large difference in sensitivity
    to photo chemicals. One senior processing operator would think nothing of putting his hands in developers without protection. He did this for over 30 yers without any problems. Another processor had to be moved to another department when he could no longer enter the dark end of the ECP processor without breaking into a rash. We had a chemical mixer who refused to wear gloves and respirator, who didn't last one year before getting dermatitis.
    People do have wery different sensitivities to these chemicals, but my point is that you do not want to discover if you are one of those with high sensitivity. It is better to take precautions from the very beginning and never find out.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin