Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,711   Online: 959

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distilled water

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    There is no chance in hell 1 gallon distilled water to cost 1$ unless You live on Mars or Jupiter
    You haven't visited a Walmart in the USA have you. Yes triple distilled water is only $1 us dollar a gallon, and the commercial stills recover the heat from condensing to preheat the incoming cold water.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is reverse osmosis product, a filtered water.
    Boiled distilled water is completely different story, it takes lots of time and energy for the vapors to pass thru a serpent turbine, then the inorganic solvents are filtered thru charcoal.
    With consumer grade distiller 600W, it takes around 5 hours to distill 1 gallon.
    If You got a military grade distiller, like the ones used in submarines, You might do it in less time but it wont cost less.
    There is no chance in hell 1 gallon distilled water to cost 1$ unless You live on Mars or Jupiter
    Many stores in my area, Chicago, Milwaukee suburbs sell Distilled water for $1 or less. RA water, if doing a refill your own container, is 30 to 40 cents.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Im just south of Chicago and have never paid more than $1 per gallon.. I always pick some up for between .88 & .99 cents per gallon..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The main question is: Did any of You guys checked it in a lab?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, and it sure fails the tests for water for injection. But it is good distilled water.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Yes, and it sure fails the tests for water for injection. But it is good distilled water.
    Yep, that's why in pharmacies is offered in glass ampules.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good question because the quality of destilled water can vary enormously. But this is the same with R.O. water. I am using Brita (TM) water which is enough filtered to get rid of all regular problems in photography and it is very suitable for use of "photo" water. One Maxtra filter can do about 80 ltrs. and it costs about Eur. 4,00. About Eur. 0,05 / ltr. and always available. The end quality also depends of the type of input water but here in Holland it is pretty good. In Ukraine it sometimes is a problem in a high amount of iron (rusty tubes).
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Just curious, why is the moisture condensate collected by these dryers rather than just vented outside?
    It allows more flexibility in locating the dryer, no access to an exterior wall is needed. Also, they don't send air you've paid to heat out of the house's conditioned envelope. These dryers are also much smaller than the typical "American" dryer.
    We have a condensing dryer, though ours is rigged to pump the water into the washing machine's drain. Given the gunky wet lint that accumulates in the condenser, I don't think the water from it is something I'd consider for my film, but "mileage may vary".

As for distilled from the grocery store, it's labeled as distilled, and the label further states "purified by steam distillation". Sells for right around 1 USD per gallon/3.7 L around here, FWIW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Роберт View Post
    Good question because the quality of destilled water can vary enormously. But this is the same with R.O. water. I am using Brita (TM) water which is enough filtered to get rid of all regular problems in photography and it is very suitable for use of "photo" water. One Maxtra filter can do about 80 ltrs. and it costs about Eur. 4,00. About Eur. 0,05 / ltr. and always available. The end quality also depends of the type of input water but here in Holland it is pretty good. In Ukraine it sometimes is a problem in a high amount of iron (rusty tubes).
    Sounds good to me!
    Brita works ok but You still need to get rid of the dissolved oxygen.
    The so called distilled water from Walmart should also be boiled to get rid of dissolved oxygen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is reverse osmosis product, a filtered water.
    Boiled distilled water is completely different story, it takes lots of time and energy for the vapors to pass thru a serpent turbine, then the inorganic solvents are filtered thru charcoal. ...
    The $1 stuff at my supermarket claims to be "steam distilled." Admittedly I don't have any handy way to truly verify that, but perhaps it's a byproduct of our typical (US) profligate energy use! It works for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin