Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 779

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distilled water

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Commercial steam distillers are over 90% efficient are recapturing the heat, water entering the first boiler is already at 100C. The plant that tested my distilled water produces water for injection by the tanker load, over 15,000 liters per day. They use a lot of water for the production of pharmaceuticals.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Water treated with reverse osmosis is often called deionized water. Distilled water, is by definition, water that is boiled, run through a condenser into a pot. The water from your dryer is distilled, but may contain oils and scents from the detergent, and will certainly contain lint and dust.

Don't use it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is the .99 cent distilled water i get from my local grocery store.. It states Purified by steam distillation, filtered and ozonated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 037.JPG  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Remember the OP is in the U.K. I have certainly never seen distilled water here at the equivalent of $1(about 62p) a gallon or anything even near that very cheap price
    Try your local independent car parts store (not Halfords). Wilco in Norfolk do a 25l drum for around £10.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Try your local independent car parts store (not Halfords). Wilco in Norfolk do a 25l drum for around £10.
    For ~ £150 You can buy EU made distiller in Europe. Can be had at every dental supply store.
    It will pay itself in a few months and will serve You at least 10 years before You service the rubber seal which cost £1.
    In US such distillers cost ~ $150.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You still need to get rid of the dissolved oxygen.
    If you boil this water almost all oxygen is out.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim17x View Post
    This is the .99 cent distilled water i get from my local grocery store.. It states Purified by steam distillation, filtered and ozonated.
    This water is ordinary water which is boiled to create steam. The steam is condensed into another container. It is then filtered to remove particles and Ozone is bubbled through it to kill bacteria and mold. The ozone dissipates quickly and is gone by the time you use it.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here distilled and deionized water must be respectively labeled in a distinct manner. I use only real
    distilled for unusually fussy or pH-sensitive work like matched separation negatives, as well as for
    final rinse of negatives with Photoflo. But our tap water here is so good that I use it for anything
    routine, including conventional black and white developers. Stored concentrates are always mixed
    up with distilled, however, just in case. Our city water is largely snowmelt piped in directly from the
    Sierras. But there are plenty of other places in the state where either the mineral or chlorine content would make it unusable in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Distilled water

My water here in the east bay area of San Francisco is very soft and considered excellent water. Nonetheless I use distilled for developing as I often my negs are "dusty" even when there is no dust to be seen on the neg surfaces. Using distilled my negs are much cleaner.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Paper coffee filter inside a plastic funnel. My 'free' distilled water was clean apart from a couple if fibres the filter held back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin