Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,890   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distilled water

Shooter
    35mm

Distilled water

This may sound like a stupid tip. However here goes.

The water supply where I live has quite a high lime content so will leave marks on any film that I process if I am not careful. I do have access to a regular supply of 'distilled water' but from an unusual source - namely the condensing clothes tumble drier. This water is condensed out of the drying clothes and is collected in a storage container fitted to the drier. When full it holds about 6-7 pints. Up until now has been simply poured away but last night I saved some and checked it for content of any particles, hairs fibres etc and then filtered it and - nothing. I processed a B&W film this morning and did a final rinse in the saved water and it dried perfectly with virtually no marks at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's handy.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do the same thing with the tumble dryer. However I haven't been filtering the water and, on the last film processing run, there were a few particles in the water so I didn't use it. What do you use to filter the water ?

Shooter
    35mm
    A coffee filter works nice. Also, you can cut the curved upper part of a ~2 liter PET bottle to use as a funnel. I've used this for filtering since I was in high-school and I didn't have access to "proper" chemical equipment for my experiments.
    Hope that helps.

Also, does anyone have experience with those home filters (with reverse osmosis, carbon, silver,etc stages)? My aunt has one and uses it for drinking water. The conductivity is really low, but I was wondering if anyone tried using that water for darkroom work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The chances of that water being full of lint and dust is very high. Distilled water costs less than $1 a gallon at the grocery store or Walmart; it is not worth the risk to save so little money.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    This may sound like a stupid tip. However here goes.

The water supply where I live has quite a high lime content so will leave marks on any film that I process if I am not careful. I do have access to a regular supply of 'distilled water' but from an unusual source - namely the condensing clothes tumble drier. This water is condensed out of the drying clothes and is collected in a storage container fitted to the drier. When full it holds about 6-7 pints. Up until now has been simply poured away but last night I saved some and checked it for content of any particles, hairs fibres etc and then filtered it and - nothing. I processed a B&W film this morning and did a final rinse in the saved water and it dried perfectly with virtually no marks at all.
    Just curious, why is the moisture condensate collected by these dryers rather than just vented outside?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iulian View Post
    Also, does anyone have experience with those home filters (with reverse osmosis, carbon, silver,etc stages)? My aunt has one and uses it for drinking water. The conductivity is really low, but I was wondering if anyone tried using that water for darkroom work.
    I got a distiller and I am using single pass distilled water in the darkroom.
    Reverse osmosis does not provide clean enough water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    ..Distilled water costs less than $1 a gallon at the grocery store or Walmart...
    This is reverse osmosis product, a filtered water.
    Boiled distilled water is completely different story, it takes lots of time and energy for the vapors to pass thru a serpent turbine, then the inorganic solvents are filtered thru charcoal.
    With consumer grade distiller 600W, it takes around 5 hours to distill 1 gallon.
    If You got a military grade distiller, like the ones used in submarines, You might do it in less time but it wont cost less.
    There is no chance in hell 1 gallon distilled water to cost 1$ unless You live on Mars or Jupiter

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    The chances of that water being full of lint and dust is very high. Distilled water costs less than $1 a gallon at the grocery store or Walmart; it is not worth the risk to save so little money.
    Remember the OP is in the U.K. I have certainly never seen distilled water here at the equivalent of $1(about 62p) a gallon or anything even near that very cheap price

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    I got a distiller and I am using single pass distilled water in the darkroom.
    Reverse osmosis does not provide clean enough water.
    I don't understand this statement, I would think it is too clean.

I use a reverse osmosis unit for drinking water, it's part of the water wall for my darkroom. But since it only has a 2 1/2 gallon tank, I only use it for mixing stock chems. I also use for the final rinse (with a bit of Photo-Flo). I use tap water through a single filter for running water in the sink, washing film and prints.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin