Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,475   Posts: 1,570,986   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Agfaphoto slide film, PINK in clear areas?

Hi guys! I am asking for some advice, I do not know if my process needs debugging at all.

I have shot a couple of rolls of agfaphoto Precisa CT 100 slide film, like all other agfaphoto CT100 slide film i have shot they have this distinct 'barely visible pinkish cast' even on the clear leader. No such casts appear on any of my 100D, 64T, fuji velvia 100, i shot a mixture of all of these over the past few days.

I process it like all my other E-6 which comes out flawless.

What gives? It is weird to say the least. A flaw in my processing? I do not understand why the pink is on the leader as well. Some kind of fog?

All of these have come from the same batch, all but two or three of the images look very muddy as well and not very sharp, although i have three slides which i really like from these rolls combined.

A flaw in my processing? A faulty batch? Yet all my more expensive slides/reversal comes out flawless, i maintain temps at 100F ( +/- 1 degree F) and have never had problems apart from when pH of the chemicals has shifted, I monitor that and run test shots first. (they are not control strips, i know but i have quite a good E6 process for personal use, the shots always look pleasing to my eyes and the eyes of my viewers Even friends see me as the one stop E6 shop though, saves them sending their films away and waiting days, not had a complaint yet!
    The three affected rolls have been shot on different days, developed in different batches of chemicals even... I have no idea what has caused such a problem, and the images appear very muddy and unsharp to boot, only three slides looked any good from all of these! The rest looked unsharp, dull, and muddy, not pleasing to my eye. I have one roll left from the batch, if it is indeed a faulty batch i should contact the seller and see if i cannot get them replaced.
    Last edited by jm94; 11-22-2012 at 06:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you mean Agfa Precisa slide film. Other Agfa films if still in existence will be years over their expiry date. If it is Precisa film the clear areas should be just that, or at least they are on the cassette I developed this evening.

It may be that the bleach/fix stage has not been done adequately.

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah it is the Precisa film.

Jacob

Shooter
    35mm
    In a post I made a month or so ago, there was a problem with how long should the 1st development be when using the Tetenal 3 bath kit. For films - non Fuji, it was 6.5 mins for other films i.e those made by Fuji 7.5 mins was recommended. The problem as I saw it was the general consensus indicated that the Precisa film was made by Fuji (allegedly) but labeled Agfa. So what was the developing time? I developed the film last night where I rated it at 100ISO and used the times for Fuji 7.5min 1st development, 6 min colour development with a 7.5 min bleach/fix stage and this was almost perfect apart from a two or three exposure differences. All the rinse/final wash remained the same. As I said before the highlights were to all intents clear and the unexposed part of the leader/trailer also clear.

As for the unsharpness, I cannot give any answer, but This has got to be down to the focussing or camera shake.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I've just received some Precisa (the "Made in Japan" version) back from lab processing, and the leader looks to be clear film....can't detect any pink (or any other tint). (I don't usually keep the scrap bits of film, but, when I next get some other film processed, I'll compare with the clear leader from Fuji and Kodak E6.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Now the debugging starts My FD time was 6:20, I use this time for all E-6. I never knew Fuji had a time increase that far... My velvia came out nice, a bit on the cool side, but that was a very pleasing to my eye, and i presume this is a property of velvia? I had some nice photos of swans on velvia and the scenery, this was late afternoon, i have some shots of the canal even more flooded this morning, should i really add an extra minute to the FD time?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's hard to say the exact problem but with only one roll left you can't do much experimenting. Certainly different films can be more sensitive to certain processing problems. Would you say the images have a pink/magenta cast or is it only obvious in the clear areas? Increasing the wash after the first dev might help or the colour dev might be a little under strength.

If it was me though, I'd get the last roll processed at a lab you can trust and if that had a cast you'd be on firmer ground in claiming replacement films from the seller. To be honest, I doubt a bad batch of film and if it had been badly stored or heat damaged I'd expect the colour fogging to be patchy.

It's worth saying that the results I've seen from the 'Made in Japan' Precisia have been very good, especially considering how reasonable the price is, just wish they made a 120 version.

Shooter
    35mm
    The images are muddy, but the pink 'tint' is only noticeable on clear areas, such as the leader. Images also look 'out of focus' just.
    I will send it off to a lab, if it happens then i have a firmer case for a replacement. I seldom come across 'bad' film... Its a mystery as i have never had a problem with E6 up to this point, and as i said before, only with these films, hence why i wanted to debug the process. Will shoot the roll and send it to a lab, will see what happens!

Jacob
    Last edited by jm94; 11-23-2012 at 05:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    If the films are from Agfa (Agfaphoto is merely a brand today) they are really old and you might just see fogging.
    If they are newer (Made in Japan) they are (more or less) Provia 100.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    If the films are from Agfa (Agfaphoto is merely a brand today) they are really old and you might just see fogging.
    If they are newer (Made in Japan) they are (more or less) Provia 100.
    I clarified that point with the originator in the 1st reply and it is Agfa(?) Precisa. I think it has to be some sort of chemical imbalance. A few years ago I had a roll of Kodachrome 64 returned processed and it had a pink tinge. Kodak in Switzerland where the Lab was apologised and replaced the film with a dozen unexposed ones. Their explanation was it was contaminated chemicals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin